Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USTHA elections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> United States Table Hockey Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: USTHA elections Reply with quote

Hello everyone. This e-mail went out to USTHA members today...Eric

Dear USTHA members:

The USTHA will be holding elections for president and six board positions. The current USTHA board took a vote on whether to have an election and feels an election is in the best interests of our mission of advancing table hockey in this country. And a strong board is made by people who are engaged in the process.

We'd like USTHA members to nominate candidates to run in this election. You can nominate individuals for board president and for board member positions. Some details:

*Please send your nominations in by Wednesday, Dec. 3.

*The e-mail address to send nominations to: usthaelections@yahoo.com

*Only a USTHA member can be nominated to run in the election and only USTHA members can nominate candidates. If you're not currently a member but want to be a candidate (or nominate someone), you can pay the $10 to become a member for a year and you can run. Only U.S. citizens can be nominated to serve on the board and vote in this election (we have a couple of non-U.S. members).

*You can nominate yourself (if you're a member) or you can nominate other members.

*Geographical considerations: in the interests of geographical balance, there's a maximum of two people from each city/region that can serve on the board at once. The idea is to ensure that no one area can dominate an issue and that balance will bring consensus in decision-making. The geographic limit applies to both board members and the president's position. So if the president is from Town A, for example, only one of the board members can be from Town A. That said, there's no limit on the number of people from a geographic area that can be nominated and run. Should more than two people from the same region get elected, only the top two vote getters would be seated, and the board position would fall to the candidate with the next-best vote total.

*After the nomination e-mails have been filed, USTHA board member Paul Brotz will contact all the nominees and ask each of them if they are interested in running for the position(s) they were nominated for.

*Nominees who want to run will then be asked to send a short statement outlining their goals for the USTHA if they are elected. Are there special projects you want to work on or areas of expertise you bring to the table? Let the voters know.

*Nominees will have two weeks to get their statements in.

*Voting: a ballot will be created and be e-mailed out to all USTHA members. The ballot will list the choices for president (vote for 1) and board members (vote for up to six) and down below the candidate statements will appear. You will be able to vote by e-mail and send your replies to a special e-mail address that current board members will have access to. (There may be a couple of members without e-mail addresses. In that case, a paper ballot will be sent to you with return postage.)
For this e-mail, however, we're only asking who you would like to be nominated to run in the election.

Sincerely,

Eric Krol
USTHA administrator
ericakrol@gmail.com

Paul Brotz
USTHA board member
paulbrotz@comcast.net
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we write in our choice? You know who would get my vote.

ChallengerSRT8
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICECHEXX wrote:
Can we write in our choice? You know who would get my vote.

Obama?
Rasta
Sorry, you can only vote for him once.
brotzp
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are more then welcomed to nominate anyone for a position even themshelves, all that is required is that you are an USTHA member.....

Here is everyone's chance to move table hockey forward......Have an agenda and fresh ideas????
TheStein
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since $1 dollar from each sanctioned tournament players entry goes into the kiddie for support of the USTHA, shouldn't those players be offered the oppourtunity to vote too? In fact some of those players who aren't members attend more than one tournament so it's extra money they add to the coffer, yes?

Also, there are at least five kids listed as members. Are they allowed to vote or does their father get the automatic proxy?
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only allowing USTHA members to vote is the right way to go about it. Why do you think they only allow citizens to vote?

Being a USTHA member... I think it shows those who are committed to table hockey and it's advancement. One can say you can be committed to table hockey without joining, but then another can say how committed are you if you don't even want to join the association. I won't waste anymore of my time on this one. too much to get done this week.

Members Only Cowboy
-Paul
brotzp
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The election is being set-up to give its members a say in who runs the Association. Steve makes a valid point, but I agree with Paul on this issue, if the new board decides that by playing in a sanctioned tournament it quailfies you for membership then that is what the policy will be.....Currently you must register and pay $10.00.....For that you get a vote.....In addition no stacking the board from one region, very nice way of keeping all things equal...........

This is everyone's chance to have a voice and make a difference....The new board will look to set policies and advance table hockey....

Maybe you think TH should have a major tournament, maybe you think we should have regional rankings, maybe you feel the points standings is not correct??? This is everyone's chance to make a difference..... Maybe you think things are good the way they are????
ChallengerSRT8
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStein wrote:
Since $1 dollar from each sanctioned tournament players entry goes into the kiddie for support of the USTHA, shouldn't those players be offered the oppourtunity to vote too? In fact some of those players who aren't members attend more than one tournament so it's extra money they add to the coffer, yes?

I know what you mean.

I spent thousands of dollars at Disney World, but the Florida government wouldn't let me vote in their election because I live in Illinois. What's worse, I'm not the only one that it's happened to.
Rasta
It's just not fair!
Rodwarn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAIR ELECTIONS.... is this not an oxymoronism?

Funny you mention Disneyworld. A few weeks before the presidential election the 27 year old daughter of my best friend told me she didn't know who to vote for. She said "why is EVERYBODY voting for Obama" ?

I told her since most people get their information filtered through the media, and since the media is largely LEFT, the perception and reality are distorted through the that lens. I suggested she watch, read, and observe what is said by ALL of the media, and then hope, she wasnt hoodwinked by the gladdest smile.

She wanted to know if she could get her political info from TV, and I said it wold be difficult. I said just make sure you watch MSNBC, CNN and FOX. She said "I ONLY WATCH THE DISNEY CHANNEL" !!!!!

So now perhaps we have Hillary and Billary calling shots. Isn't there anyone but a Bush and a Clinton running Washington for 25 years? Is this the change we wanted?

I hope the USTHA elections go better. Stein....you're not ranked or a member....how many votes do you want?

Good point about the kids though. If dad takes their vote, what have we accomplished?
Roadrunners
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Elections Reply with quote

THIS is why I don't vote...

I rather be Fred Flintsone watching the Dinosaurs fighting in the Tar pits...

-K
brotzp
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me the election rules are listed above this post. If you feel that you should have a vote in Flordia because you go to disneyworld and spend a little money, then you should live in metro Detroit....You won't believe the rubbish we have been thru for the past 35 years or longer with the City of Detroit. But that is the system we live in....But, here in TH world you have a chance to make a difference. So "Cry if you want" (Who song) but please don't be a hyprocrite when it comes to this election.....

Obama, the Clintons, King George I or King George II (Bushs) have nothing what so ever to do with this election. There will be no hanging chads....

Len, smack your best buddy.....Tell him to talk to his kids from time to time.....Don't preach, just talk to them...Just because you believe in something, should all of your friends and kids think the same way????
That is what is great about America everyone can think differently... Boxing It's still the greatest place to live on earth....
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: elections feedback Reply with quote

Thank you for your feedback, Steve.

When we started talking about holding an election, we looked to a couple things for guidance. One was how the CTHA was going about holding their election. They were doing it this way, more or less, according to the procedures they posted publicly. The other reference point was a proposal that the USTHA itself had considered when it was mulling over holding an election in 2005. That election never took place, but the blueprint was laid out. The ideas seemed reasonable both then and today.

This is from a January 2005 e-mail to the USTHA board types from Steve, who had been asked about an election process:

Hi Everyone,

Jim has asked a question below and I wanted you all to know where we are at this point.

We are presently working out the details for elections and membership, among many other things. First and foremost those voting must be paid members in good standing of the USTHA. Only U.S. players may be nominated and run and only U.S. players may vote. I said in a previous email that we are going to roll out the membership drive on the website in mid January. This is on schedule for sometime in a week or so.

To answer your question more directly Jim, I feel there should be nominations and then perhaps a run-off election to get down to only two, no more than three candidates for each position. Then a final election can held. At this time I would say that all paid members get an equal vote. On the other hand I also feel that those running should have some "qualifications". It is important that people who wish to hold offices in the USTHA should be involved in the sport to some extent, to have some experience with table hockey. Not just any Joe Schmo, so to speak, should be allowed to run. When you get the draft I think you will see what I mean. Maybe that doesn't totally answer your question but at least it lets you know where we should be headed.

We need to hold a USTHA organizational meeting in Philly with so many of the principles being there. I will have an itinerary of issues for us to discuss. If there is any other questions you need answered before then let me know. See you all there.

Steve

PS. I would like to ask Paul Wright in Seattle if he would like to be a USTHA Northwest Rep. Are there any comments or objections.

###
TheStein
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is certainly gratifying to see some concepts that Mike and I
came up with are going to be used and in this instance I commend the
board for that. However, I feel the board should do more. Perhaps going
back two years, like the ranking does, and include voting to players who
have played in two or more events withone being outside of their own
region. I have to admit I have't looked at that data, but it would seem
appropriate that at best those players would/should be considered
"supporters" of the organization and given a vote.

As far as the membership lists go. The fact is the membership list
in Jan of 2005 was much smaller and mostly all of those that were
members then were players touring to most of the tournaments. That
is very different to the makeup of the current membership list.

So yes, members get a vote but the board should and can change the
rule (there is certainly precident for that,isn't there) and allow
others that have supported the organization in different ways to join
in in the festivities.

Steve

ps, in my email back then I was way ahead of obama. the joe schmoe i mentioned was actually joe the plumber and i have no idea if he plays table hockey.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStein wrote:

ps, in my email back then I was way ahead of obama. the joe schmoe i mentioned was actually joe the plumber and i have no idea if he plays table hockey.

Well, I live about 5 miles from Joe the Plumber, maybe I should ask him if he plays. Laughing

Paul
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: election results Reply with quote

Happy New Year. All the responses are in and we've got the results of the USTHA election. Two people were nominated for president and one accepted. Eric Krol is the new USTHA president. A total of 13 people were nominated for six board spots. Six accepted. Your new USTHA board is: Paul Brotz, Paul Ruiz, Kevin Rafferty, Jim Rzonca, Mike Horan and Mike Caponetti. The terms are two years, meaning another election process should start around November 2010 so the election can be completed by January 2011. Thanks to all who made nominations, all who were nominated and all who accepted.
ChallengerSRT8
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: election results Reply with quote

EricK wrote:
Happy New Year. All the responses are in and we've got the results of the USTHA election. Two people were nominated for president and one accepted. Eric Krol is the new USTHA president. A total of 13 people were nominated for six board spots. Six accepted. Your new USTHA board is: Paul Brotz, Paul Ruiz, Kevin Rafferty, Jim Rzonca, Mike Horan and Mike Caponetti. The terms are two years, meaning another election process should start around November 2010 so the election can be completed by January 2011. Thanks to all who made nominations, all who were nominated and all who accepted.

That's a great group of dedicated table hockey people running the USTHA. Congratulations and thanks to you all.
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new T E A M with a fresh start!

Jim Rzonca
DTHLcommish
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: $$$$$$$$$ Reply with quote

Great ... now to work on the games biggest problem ... prize money . lol The man Tom "Coco" Warren has bills to pay . LOL Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> United States Table Hockey Association All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: