Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I picked up a Coleco 5388 today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoop27
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: I picked up a Coleco 5388 today. Reply with quote

I'll have some pictures tomorrow.

I picked it up locally on Kijiji, and it has the 3D players (Montreal and Toronto) however they were missing the goaltenders. Not a big deal in the short term, but I am guessing finding a couple replacements will be a pain in the butt.

This version has the goaltenders on the left hand side. I am personally not a fan of the stick on the side so I may look at moving it behind the goaltender.

The ice surface is almost level. (only a couple little bobbles) and had a couple cracks in it that had been repaired by the gentleman that had owned it and he had actually done a very nice job.

Any suggestions on replacing the goaltenders? I'm trying to think of the best way to do it. I have some little goalies on there from another little kids game, So it looks like Darren Pang in an 8 foot wide net. As the nets that came with the game are the 5 inch models. Which I immediately replaced with some 1970's Subbuteo nets that have the real mesh etc. that were the same size.

The table legs were perfect as well so overall I'm pretty happy with this one! It'll do at least until I can swing buying a Benej Wink
Steve Dowell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: 5388 goalies Reply with quote

If you have any spare goalie rods from an old Coleco, you can take one to a metal fabricator and have him make extras to whatever proper length you need. Not having a 5388 on hand so I can measure or study, I'm certain the rods would have to be about 3 inches or so longer. You would also have to rout a slot somewhere into the end cap. 3 years ago I built a custom game based upon the 5340, designed it a bit larger than the factory models and had to lengthen my goalies rods by about 3 inches. The longer goalie rods was a successful design but, you will find that a bit more width is needed with the goalie slot cut into your end cap. Some underneath redesigning may also be needed between the end cap and your goal cup. Perhaps some other game designers here on THH could help you with that process; smaller nets are an improvement upon the 5388.

Coleco had a great idea with the 5388 but, did not take it far enough. I.e, for whatever reason, they negated passes behind the net; the goalie rods upon the sides are a hinderance rather than an asset; some people may legitimately argue this was for family play, the slot pattern could have been better and yes, the 5 inch wide nets sure did improve one's goal tending talents over time! Good luck. The factory Coleco 5388 can always use some improvement and perhaps you're the man the do it! Smile
Hoop27
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya for the life of me I can't figure out why they put the rods to the side unless it was for the reason you suggest. There is plenty of room to put it in there behind the net.

No pictures yet since my wife liberated the SD card from the camera for her new Nintendo DSI Laughing I'll have to pick one up tomorrow.

There are a couple spots that need to be leveled and I am hoping I have enough skill to do that with the pictures on here.

I'd say now my biggest concern is finding/making some goalie figures. Once that is done I should be good to go.
Al_brokenwing
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a Coleco Gameroom? I'm not up on the model numbers. If it is, you can use Gretzky goalies. They have the square mount like Coleco players. I also have the Gretzky players on my game because of "injuries" to the original players. If they have the wide flat mount you can use Irwin 3d goalies to have all 3d players.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a page on TableHockeyHeaven.com that has info about the 5388
http://www.tablehockeyheaven.com/photos/games/coleco/game_room_hockey_1973_model_5388/index.html

-Paul
Hoop27
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little late on the pics but I just did a few. Just missing some goaltenders, and I have a small issue with one of the goaltender bars pressing down on a defenceman bar. But other than that it plays very well. Oh yes I replaced the nets with Subbuteo nets since they were the exact same size.

ruffie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congradulations on your Gameroom. Looks to be in great shape. Good idea with the nets. The netting will cut down on the in/outs.

See goaltenders on e-bay every once in a while, so you might have some luck there.

Having the goalie on the side somehow adds to the fun of playing that game. Try playing with 4 players with each player working three rods. Working a pass from the LD and LW to the center can be a real hoot with 2 players Rolling On Floor Laughing
and downright beautiful when it works Clapping
Your pictures bring back some good memories.
Enjoy your game Hoop.
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ruffie. I've made some goalies out of two pieces of cardboard glued together for thickness then cut out. It will suffice for now.

Ya I'm having a boys games night on Saturday with that and some foosball, it should be a blast.
Hoop27
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a change to the nets. As you can see on there I had put on the Subbuteo nets, but tonight I figured I would cut the goal area out so the pucks fall down to help the in and outs. Well just to check I put the original coleco nets back on after I cut out the hole (A dremel is not the greatest tool for this job lol) and I was shocked to find that the old plastic nets worked great as a puck deflector!

I'm about 25 for 25 without an in and out so far so the old nets are staying on.

The only issue I have left to beat is that the goaltender rod on one side is "up" a bit and when the one defenceman comes back towards his own net it's pushing that rod at an odd angle forcing the defencemans stick into the ice. (or the slot)

Any thoughts as to how I tackle this problem?
ruffie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are enjoying improvising as much as actually playing the game.
Maybe paste this fella on the cardboard cause there won't be any in/outs if they can't get it by him in the first place Laughing

Hoped one of the Game room veterans would have jumped in (where's Len?) by now so it looks like your stuck with me Rolling Eyes
Could be that the goalie or defenseman rod is slightly bent. That's a big game and a slight bent in a rod would make a big difference. Maybe the hole where one of those rods go in on the end boards or the side for the goalie could also be worn a bit. A washer or a shoe „eyelet“ (or whatever they call them) might help.
Hope everyone has a good time with it tonight
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL That picture is worth the price of admission right there!

Appreciate the advice. We'll take a look at it tonight before we get carried away, but is should be fun regardless. And we will have at least 7 guys playing tonight so it should be a gong show!
Hoop27
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just wrapped up and everyone had a good time. I am thinking that the goalie rod is a bit bent causing the problem so I'll take a look at straightening that out in the next while.
Hoop27
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the goaltender rod today. That was a pain in the arse Smile Minor improvement so I'm thinking the defenceman rod needs to be straightened.
Hoop27
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got some good news today. Rick Benej is hooking me up with some replacement goaltenders that he has for a Game Room! As well my experiment in making wooden pucks using a dowel rod worked perfectly and they slide well so I was very pleased.

So I think I have gotten to the point that I am going to go to the next level in restoring/modifying the game, and for me that is the ice surface itself by replacing the whole darn thing and making my own slot pattern so that I can get play behind the net. This of course may require me to go with smaller nets than the original 5" nets but those should be easy enough to find/make.

So I was hoping to get a little help with two things. 1) How do you remove and replace the surface on these games? I did some searching but I never found any specifics. And #2 When cutting out the slots what are my options when it comes to tools for the job, along with how difficult it is to do?

I'd also like to get some input on the pros and cons of different types of surfaces. Whether it be Masonite/Hardboard, or Lexan, or PVC etc. Fortunately painting a surface will be something I can do with ease.

If anyone had some opinions/ideas on a slot pattern as well I would be all ears. The nice thing about the Game Room is the players have very long rods, so I should have a lot of flexibility when it comes to a slot design.

One other quick question I had (may as well get them out in one post lol) was is there any way to remove the rods from the sliders if you have a damaged slider? The reason I ask is I had a little plastic kids game that used the exact same slider/spring setup. Which allowed me to cut down one rod to size, however the goalie rod was the only rod which is small enough to be fully replaced like that.

As it has been mentioned before I would highly recommend opaque paint pens for any surface. here is a link to a 'Subbuteo Hockey' table I made for my nephew. http://i45.tinypic.com/1zyym83.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!
Hoop27
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answered all of my questions. the Game Room comes completely apart with 8 screws LOL. Buddy of mine has a router and is helping me with that. I am painting up two surfaces (hardboard). One will be a clone of the original, and one will be a custom slot pattern. Again if anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: