Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North American Stiga Tour Rankings Updated Under New System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> United States Table Hockey Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: North American Stiga Tour Rankings Updated Under New System Reply with quote

Hello. The 2009 Stiga U.S. Open was the first tournament to be played under the slightly revamped tournament rating system in place for this year's North American Tour.

As noted on the ustha.com web site, the system is based on incentives for tournament organizers on both strength of field and attendance. The old system was more of a benchmark system based on set numbers for both categories.

In the interests of transparency, here's how the U.S. Open in Lemont broke down:

*20 points: it had the minimum of 16 players and 50 strength of field points to get the standard 20 points for a tournament.

*25 points: it had 38 players. Tournaments get 5 bonus points for every four players over the minimum of 16. So with 22 players over the minimum, that means five bonus levels were reached (22/4=5). 5 bonus levels x 5 points each = 25 points.

*25 points: it had 310 strength of field points that included 16 of the top 36 North American players and a strong European player. Plus 18 players were returning players out of the top 36 and each counted as +1.

20+25+25=70 points to the winner, 64 points for second, 58 for third, 52 for fourth, 46 for fifth, and so on.

It is expected that as tournaments unfold this year, the total point values to the winner (and on down) will increase over past years. So the rankings can be expected to change a bit throughout the course of this year's tour.

The new rankings files have been posted in pdf form (formatting courtesy of Pierre Chastenais) on the site. Also posted is the explanation for the slight changes to the ranking system. Both can be found on this page:

http://ustha.com/ranking/index.html

Best,
Eric
USTHA president
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there. I've calculated the North American Tour rankings after the Edmonton '09 tournament. The talented Pierre Chastenais converted the Excel files into PDFs, and they're posted.

If you just want the link you can please go here:
http://www.ustha.com/ranking/index.html

If you want the details...here you go...

*Before calculating Edmonton 09, I first took down the results of the Shawinigan tournament from August 2007 because of our two-year rolling system. Then I figured out the top 36 and used that to calculate the strength of field for this year's Edmonton. So if you notice more changes than usual, that's why. Some players had their points disappear while others added points.

*Edmonton 09 replaced Edmonton 2007 in the rankings. Again, the two-year cycle thing.

*Edmonton 09 had 27 players and 150 strength of field points.

*Edmonton 09 was worth 40 points to the winner. It started out with a baseline of 20 points. 10 more points were added for the number of players and another 10 points for strength of field.

*Next up is Binghamton '09. Before I calculate that tournament's numbers, I will be eliminating Gatineau 07 (again, the two-year cycle of tournaments thing).

Eric
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Work Eric. You are a busy beaver as usual! Thanks for all your professional orginization, hard work and travels.

Keep it KrAnKiN!
Jim Rzonca
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: rankings updated after binghamton Reply with quote

Hello everybody. We've updated the North American, Canadian and USA Stiga rankings to reflect the Binghamton 09 tournament. As part of the two-year rolling tally, the Gatineau 07 tournament dropped off the rankings this time.

You can check it out here: http://ustha.com/ranking/index.html

Thanks once again to Pierre Chastenais of Montreal for making up the pdf files.

The Binghamton tournament was worth 45 points to the winner, Mr. Gamache.

Each tournament starts out worth 20 points. Binghamton had 30 players, so it reached three attendance bonuses for 15 additional points. It was worth approximately 168 strength of field points, so it achieved two bonuses there, for 10 additional points. Total it up: 20 + 15 + 10 = 45.

Up next is the final ranking tournament of the calendar year, the Stiga Shootout in Southern California on Dec. 12.

Eric
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: post-SNAC update Reply with quote

We've updated the North American Tour rankings after the SNAC tournament in Detroit. Note: the rankings reflect the Hartford Open 2008 and Detroit SNAC 2008 results expiring and the 2010 Detroit results being added.

Detroit SNAC was worth 70 points to the winner under the tournament rating system that took effect last summer. It started out with a base of 20 points, earned 20 points for player attendance bonus (34 players) and another 30 points for strength of field (which was 350+). The explanation of the system, as well as links to the North American, USA and Canadian rankings, can be found here: http://www.ustha.com/ranking/index.html

You'll notice some shakeups in the rankings due to inactivity of some top players and the new points system coming online this year with tournaments starting to increase in value. Still, there probably aren't many table hockey observers out there who don't think Ken Dubois is still number one in North America.

As always, if you notice any errors, please e-mail me at ericakrol@gmail.com

Thanks to Pierre C as always for the nice-looking pdfs.

Best,
Eric
ustha.com
vegasjay
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just curious, how is the #1 North American player not from North America? Why designate rankings per country or continent?
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rankings are for the Stiga North American Tour, which is made up of all the sanctioned Stiga events in the U.S. and Canada. They're all open events, so anyone from anywhere can play in them, and their results count.
vegasjay
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K-man.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. The North American, US and Canadian rankings have been updated to reflect the Canada Challenge tournament in Gatineau last weekend. They also reflect the expiration of the 2008 Boston tournament.

Thanks to Pierre C for the pdfs.

Next update after the RBC IX in Montreal in early June.

Eric
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rankings have been updated to include the 2010 Stiga U.S. Open in Lemont. Rankings from the 2008 U.S. Open fell off.

You can view them here: http://www.ustha.com/ranking/index.html

Next update after the Edmonton tournament in September.
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job as usual Eric!

Jim Rzonca
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Eric on being #1.

-Paul
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody...the North American, Canadian, and US rankings are now updated. The results for the 2008 Shawinigian and Edmonton tournaments expired, and the results for 2010 Edmonton are included.

Thanks to Pierre Chastenais for the nice-looking pdfs. As always, any errors are mine and please let me know. Thx, Eric

EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow TH enthusiasts.

We've updated the North American, USA and Canadian Stiga rankings following the Detroit tournament.

An impressive showing (4th) by Paul Shabi has landed the youngster from Fraser, MI in the #1 spot on the USA side.

Please join me in congratulating Paul on his achievement. I believe he's just 14 years old. His hard work and determination and practice and hours of playing against his TH mentor, Mr. Tim Walker, have paid off. The future's bright for this kid.

You can read all about it here: http://www.ustha.com/ranking/index.html

Thanks to Pierre Chastenais as always for his sharp-looking pdfs. Pierre's tournament is next on the tour, June 4 in beautiful Montreal. I'm sure he'll/we'll have more to announce about that soon.

I've been battling some illness in the post-SNAC comedown (nothing like touching all those rods to catch yerself some germs) and plan to spend a few days on Spring Break with my boys. Then the USTHA will hunker down and start the election process for president and board positions. So if you're contemplating a run for any of that...here's an early notice so you can start writing your statement of candidacy for when it opens up.

Best,
Eric
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going, Paul. Congratulations.
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: wow! Reply with quote

I've heard so much about Paul Shabi from so many folks and I have not attended a stiga tournament for going on three years now . . . 14 years of age and he has the passion for table hockey European kids usually have.

Wouldn't it be something if some rich sponsor could step up and give Paul a stipend so he could play in Sweden or Finland or Russia for a year???? What an experience the young man would have.

The sky's the limit Mr. Shabi . . . Clapping
johnny labs
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is a nice young man.I look forward to seeing him at the US Open this summer W/ his dad.Plus he laughs at my dumb jokes on YouTube. Very Happy
Good job Paul.
ReggieJ44
CTHA Western Rep
CTHA Western Rep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Paul!!

Reggie Stefaniszyn ETHL
PaulShabi26
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieJ44 wrote:
Congrats, Paul!!

Reggie Stefaniszyn ETHL

Thank you very much Reggie! This really means a lot to me.

Paul Shabi Very Happy :
PaulShabi26
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny labs wrote:
Paul is a nice young man.I look forward to seeing him at the US Open this summer W/ his dad.Plus he laughs at my dumb jokes on YouTube. Very Happy
Good job Paul.
Thanks John. That was very nice of you to write this about me.

Paul Shabi Very Happy
PaulShabi26
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Thank you letter Reply with quote

Thank you to all of the people on Table Hockey Heaven for supporting me and congratulating me on becoming the new number one player in the United States. It really meant a lot to me and it took me about a year starting from March of 2010 to March of 2011. It took me this long just to get where I wanted to be.

My 3 top finishes in the USTHA Ranking:

2010 SNAC- 8th
2010 US Open- 5th
2011 SNAC- 4th

Thanks for your support!
Paul Shabi Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> United States Table Hockey Association All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: