Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What NHL Teams were available for Coleco Games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Collecting & History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcuscgg
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: What NHL Teams were available for Coleco Games? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has a Master List of All Coleco NHL Teams, All Star, etc for Coleco Games? Please List if there were more than one uniform for each Teams

Thanks
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there were at least 21...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coleco-Table-Hockey-Game-Decal-Sheets-21-NHL-Teams-/370390791721?cmd=ViewItem&pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item563d02f629
Jefman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coleco made 16 teams for table hockey games in an all metal form: Prior to securing NHL licensing rights a set of generic Montreal and Toronto teams were made probably in the spring of 1968 just after Coleco purchased Eagle Toys. Coleco had originally distributed games in 1968 with yellow stick Toronto and Montreal NHL logo'd teams. They stopped this practice as I'm sure the licensing issue needed to be resolved and thus the generic Leafs and Habs would be the teams sold with their generic slanted games until the issue was resolved later that year.By late 1968 or so Coleco made the original six teams along with the expansion six teams all in their home dark jersey's. For 1970-71 Coleco concluded their metal figure sets by introducing both Vancouver and Buffalo in home dark uniforms. The process that they used was based on a silk screen technique and not a dye stamped manufacturing approach that been used since 1954. As a result the players are crude and downright ugly. A sea change in Coleco's processes either based on cost reductions or consumer product safety initiatives prompted Coleco to roll out a white plastic flat flipper and subsequently the famed banana blade flippers. In both cases the fourteen teams were made of six team forward sticker sheets (the extra attacker was thus provided for last minute of play scenarios) and a goaltender sticker. The Vancouver and Buffalo teams were thus printed in a much more crisper format and then they followed up with both the NY Islanders and the Atlanta Flames as well for the 1972-73 season. At this point it is obvious that Coleco has fallen way behind the rapidly changing uniform evolution in the NHL.

The Boston Bruins are still being printed in their yellow uniforms. They dropped the yellow jerseys at the conclusion of the original six era the spring of 1967 but Coleco failed to note that and never bothered to depict them in their home blacks or road whites (that format was changed in 1971 by the NHL to mandate home teams wear white and road teams wear darks). The Toronto Maple Leafs changed the look of their uniforms for the 1971 season by using their trim colors all the way down the sleeves and re designing the Maple Leaf logo into a more modern look using a variation much like the initial modification from the centennial spring 1967 Leaf logo re design that pushed out the 16 point Leaf crest that the team had worn since the 1930's. Coleco also failed to take heed of the changed look of the Oakland Seals from a blue/green trim to a wholesale color change motivated by eccentric owner Charles Finley's desire to switch the team to match colors of his baseball Oakland A's: green and yellow and the ditching of the Seals logo for a moronic logo of the word "Seals" to be used as the primary logo of the team. The NY Isles were depicted by Coleco wearing ala NY Rangers red pants. The NY Isles never wore red pants. The designer at the Coleco factory either rushed or was the receiver of bad information from the NHL league office and decided to color the pants red. The Isles eventually decided on blue as the color of the pants so the Coleco people never got the word or bothered to color them blue. The Atlanta Flames were colored in their home reds but manufactured with the word "Atlanta" affixed across their chest. Again the schedule in production deadlines may have necessitated this design application as the Flames as most know had a neat flaming "A" logo affixed to their jerseys all the way through the era when they bolted for Calgary for the 1980 season. Both the Islanders and Flames however had sticker sets released with the goalies wearing masks and thus it showed that Coleco had at least figured out the era of the bare faced goalie was going by way of the pet rock...that goalies besides Gump Worsley and Andy Brown didn't exactly embrace the concept of stopping 100 mph pucks without a mask.The summary is thus sixteen metal teams and sixteen sticker sets for the white plastic era. Sub total 32 teams.

Coleco then introduced some 3 dimensional players (much like Eagle's circa 1966 2nd generation 3d players but actually a bit smaller)for release with their Game Room and Trophy or "Baby" Game Room line of games. In Canada the games were sold with blue 3d painted Maple Leafs and white red shouldered Canadien teams. In the US the distribution was primarily centered around white Bruins and red Blackhawks. A line of blue Rangers and blue Canucks was sold after market as well. Both of those teams are rare and difficult to locate as they were probably not manufactured in numbers. Don't ask why the Red Wings were not made. Maybe it was because the team under Ned Harkness (rhymes with darkness!) was so miserably bad. Add another six teams Subtotal 38.

The black plastic flipper era was ushered in around 1977 or so. The problem was Coleco made no changes to the look of the team stickers. Around 1980 Coleco made changes and introduced a line of 21 stickered teams: Montreal,Toronto,New York, Boston,Detroit, Chicago,St Louis, Minnesota,Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (now adopting a black/yellow jersey like the Steelers and Pirates), LA, Vancouver (now with a color change a the "V" logo) Buffalo, NY Isles,Calgary (no more Atlanta)Washington Caps, The Colorado Rockies (never made the KC Scouts) and the four WHA castoffs: Quebec,Hartford, Edmonton and Winnipeg. The teams were all depicted wearing road dark jersey's, helmets and the goalies were all made with various masks: a trademark of the look that gave each team a certain individuality aside from their logos and colors. In the mid 1980's new look LA Kings, Vancouver Canucks, Philadelphia Flyers and St Louis Blues were added as well as that of the relocated New Jersey Devils to replace the Colorado Rockies. The total for helmeted teams with individual goalie masks was thus 26 teams. Add another 26 teams

Total 64 teams I think...correct me if I'm wrong. (I am cautious in adding a white NY Rangers team to the Coleco 3d line made in 1971-72, supposedly a first generation 3d rollout sized like Eagle's 1966 2nd generation 3d players...I have a set but I am convinced they were a limited edition prototype issue.)

Hope this helps the thread.
DurhamTHL-PRES
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What NHL Teams were available for Coleco Games? Reply with quote

I can hook you up with any teams you need.
Patrick-Hatrick
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Coleco teams Reply with quote

Wow this is really interesting. Thanks for the really detailed vital info. I'm really lovin it Wink (Sorry McDonalds) This fits just perfect for me as I recently acquired a 5380 Coleco. The box shows white plastic players but it came with black ones instead. I believed these to be original as the sticker sheets were still in the box with both teams extra forwards attached. The game came from a seller who knew nothing about it and he acquired through someone. Don't think he pulled a switcheroo on me as far as teams. At least I know now the game is 1977 age. It must also be from no later than 1980-81 because one of the teams was Atlanta. Must be kind of rare for that team and they do have the banner chest logo. The only time something Atlanta was rare Embarassed The other team was Philly. Just what a GUY stuck in the midwest wants Shocked It may be second nature to you guys who have been around awhile,but us newbies can use this important info. Yes I know the wheel is round,I just did'nt know it came in so many sizes! Embarassed Hey commish does your teams offer still stand? Might want some CHI,DET,BOS,teams soon. Thanks again for all the cool stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Collecting & History All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: