Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eagle Powerplay game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Collecting & History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torontotablehockey
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Eagle Powerplay game Reply with quote

I have a question about the Eagle Powerplay game, I think 1963. It has a sideways oval on the side panel, with nice painted players to either side.

I have seen two variations of the slot pattern. One looks like the modern powerplay and poewerplay2 games, where the defenseman slowly rolls out (J shape) towards the outer boards. The other looks a lot like the Hockey Night in Canada slot pattern.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these games?[/img]
Patrick-Hatrick
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not well versed in Eagle but wanted to make a reply because it's the polite thing to do. Come on you experts help the guy out. I think you are all sleeping. Everyone can't be setting up tournaments or playing all the time! Maybe if I tell you something stupid someone will reply and you can get your answers. Seems to be alot of spankers in the crowd. If you say something wrong they'll be quick with replies. Eagle Powerplay seems to have a long evolution. It does not surprise me they used different boards over the years. Maybe different sizes too? They kept it around for some reason. I'm surprised there are not more pics out there for the early pre Coleco version. There should be many of these out there. I always thought Top Corner was the one everybody shied away from! Although I am in the same boat as you because no one replied to my Coleco Powerplay question either. At least you guys could tell me I got hosed again! Where's Ruffie when you need him? He always has something good to say. What ever you do,enjoy your vintage hockey games. That's from one vintage hockey lover to another. All the best to you.
25tigers
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mark, all my powerplay games are even older than even those ones. Hope someone can fill you in on the game ages.
ruffie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, If everyone would have replied to all the dumb stuff I posted, I'd be the most popular guy on here Rolling On Floor Laughing

If you get a game you enjoy then you didn't get hosed Patrick. It doesn't matter what it is. You could do worse. I have a Gretzky. I kinda like it Embarassed

I posted a pic of the PP game and Jeffman filled me in on it:
http://www.tablehockeyheaven.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1945

Look through the forums until you find "An eye for an Eagle" and "Crazy for Coleco". Beware. When you are done reading you will be addicted. There is no known remedy.
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies!
I have even come across a spinner style game that had this side panel on it. I thought that the spinners were done being made around 1959 but when I saw a spinner game with the powerplay side panel, I assumed that there must have been some spinner games still being produced into the 1962-63 period since this same side panel appeared on one. It is a good game, just that if you bust a plastic guide or lose a pin, you will be hard pressed to replace one of the half moon variety posts.
will go look for the eye foe an eagle article!
sgvette
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Powerplay game Reply with quote

marksokolski wrote:
I have a question about the Eagle Powerplay game, I think 1963. It has a sideways oval on the side panel, with nice painted players to either side.

I have seen two variations of the slot pattern. One looks like the modern powerplay and poewerplay2 games, where the defenseman slowly rolls out (J shape) towards the outer boards. The other looks a lot like the Hockey Night in Canada slot pattern.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these games?[/img]

You need to understand that the Power Play Hockey games by Eagle had many variations, far more than the 2 slot designs you mention. The six man artwork with the center oval was actually a carryover design from the pre-60 square crner model games. The first design early 60's Power plays actually used a metal overhead as used on the square corner model. Later, the games used a plastic overhead with spinning banner holders.

Some models had glass at the ends, some with electric goal lights. Some of these games had the 2 slot variations you mentioned. Some had plastic deflectors to keep the puck from going behind the net, some had a raised white plastic triangle to keep it from settling behind the net.

Look at the boxes. Some had a white "burst" graphic that said "electric hockey" but it did NOT say "electric" on the side panel oval. Some had a navy blue 'electric hockey" burst on the box, and said Electric within the side panel oval.

And lets not forget the model that actually had plastic goalie rods!!!

There's more but I dont want to type any more.

Following are some quick pics showing some different details...

sgvette
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, note that some details in the pics are incorrect- some grips, some incorrect accessiories in picture, some are missing some scoreboards. These photos are to show the variations I listed. Also, the bottom picture is a game with plastic goalie rods.
Jefman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve: Fantastic group of photos. Accordingly games in the year they were made from the top:

Game #1 is a 1961 Eagle Power Play with end blue green plexi glass and six team banner overheads.On this version the goal nets do not attach to the separate red goal bars.Note the goal lights on the side that were actually mounted on the top of the plexi ends.

Game #2 is blurry and I can't tell by the slot pattern. But I am almost sure it is a 1963 because it has the feature of being able to pass the puck behind the net. The only early Eagle Power Play game that had that option.

Game #3 Is the 1960 first year round corner game with higher resolution graphics not the circa 1950's type with sides silk screened. The overhead was also used on the 1959 version of Power Play...the last square cornered game of the original three game circa 1957-59 versions of Power Play. The goal nets on this version actually attached to the goal bars. The goal lights are the behind the goal mounted "cigarette" stacks.

Game #4 is a 1963 version of Power Play whereby Eagle married the 1962 Hockey Night in Canada slot pattern to the 1960-62 Power Play chassis (frame). The goal lights plugged into the back end line.

Game #5 is a 1962 version of that game. Note the goalies rods. They are white and plastic. A one year wonder on that feature of that game. Goal nets had the red bar eliminated that year.
torontotablehockey
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing - never thought I could get that much detail from anyone!
(I still have not figured out how to put in a photo - can you tell me how to do that?)
i really like that side panel - never knew it came up so much over time with eagle. Still think I like the game with the defenseman slot that can go into the opponents zone. Thanks for all the info! Great stuff!
sgvette
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for you to finish up, Jeff! Cheers

I passed across an open goalmouth and you tapped it in. Nice teamwork. Like a Nathan Horton Game 7 game-winner.
Jefman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for that give and go. You are quite simply the Adam Oates of the table hockey world: A great distributor and gatherer. You do a masterful job of promoting and disseminating data of the vintage games in this fantastic hobby.

If anyone is interested I have an absolutely mint condition 1961 version of this game for sale. That's right the game photographed with the bluish green plexi glass ends with the goal lights and the great goal nets that include the red bar I have on the block. The game includes a very nice overhead, mint Toronto vs Montreal players (however it has no goalies) wooden puck, the correct plastic Stanley Cup, a 1961 NHL rules book and a very nice condition original box for the game. A terrific vintage table hockey game that is 51 years old yet looks like it has been played just a few times. If interested send me an e mail to manfamlv@cox.net.

Last edited by Jefman on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
tonscia
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos 1,3 & 5 show an angled defensemen slot whereas photos 2 & 4 show a primarily straight slot. I still have the game I grew up with since I was 12 years old, 51 years ago. It is identical to photo #1. There is no model number on the game, but the long gone, disintegrated box definitely showed MODEL 540 !!! My brother and I probably DESTROYED the blue plastic within a year! The game is extremely worn, I've repaired it many times and it is still in playable condition.

My brother and I had an unwritten gentlemen's rule that when the centerman receives a pass from the winger, he must take the shot in one smooth motion and not take a few seconds to set up. I still try to play that way. So, obviously, I am not a supporter of stiga fintars!

I was fortunate to get one on Ebay a few years ago, customize it and bring it to several "bring your own game tournaments" where many players appreciated the types of plays I can make on the game. The Eagle 540 does not appear to have much of a following.

I have seen the 540 go for anywhere from $50 to $300 on Ebay, depending on condition and time of year.

One of the interesting things about the game is the range of the goalie, being able to come out as much as an 1-1/4". With the 5" wide net, you develop goalie skills that are not available on other Eagle and Coleco games. The goalie is an absolute weapon! I don't use it that way much because it upsets opponents, but I at least show them one or two goalie moves. The goalie can come out to cut down the angle on shots from the point, but you must be fast enough to come back and cover the post if a winger tries to sneak one behind you. I can usually use my defenseman to bring the puck back to the goalie and then use the goalie to pass it to a winger. The goalie cannot cheat by staying in the middle of the net, you must respect wingers shots on the short side.

The defensemen's slots do not come back far enough, so I've extended the slots 2" toward the goal line. You have to give up the battery holder. I've relocated the right defensmen's rod to be in line with the straight part of the slot. It plays better. So, I lean to function more than appearance, just my nature.

I also have two more 540's that I haven't got around to rebuilding.

I've posted some of these ideas before, probably on "an Eye for Eagle".

Some of you also know that I have a Bodycheck of which it is my understanding that there are only 3 in the USA. Check out the Bodycheck videos on YouTube. Contact me if you are in the NYC area, if you wish to play.
25tigers
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures and description tag team between Steve and Jeff is terrific. Any way these cab be incorporated into the photos section? I own the 1957 (green) square corner game and the first powerplay game that incorporated those awesome skating 6 players on the side. It also had square corners and an overhead (black) that had the 6 banners. Fun to play with the d men and wingers switching locations on the slots!
25tigers
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the 1960 game from the original owner. With the exception of knobs (which I have) the game is 100% complete. It is one my top 3 favorites!
25tigers
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tablehockey-discussion.2665692.n2.nabble.com/60-110-Slot-Yrs-in-THe-book-parts-now-in-14-languages-td7578466.html

(Just added a 2nd 1960 PP entry)

1960 Eatons catalog ad includes a small picture of the round corner PP.
(with an earlier square overhead, not the 1 pictured here).

1961 Eatons catalog ad has a large picture of the 1st photo here.

Square corner Eagles were still made in the transition year of 1960,
and the stationary Pro was available in 1961.

There were 2 square corner PPs in 1960 and I believe 2 PPs with the same side in 1960 (3 PPs in that year) 1 with penalty boxes and the 1st round corner. In 1961 there was a catalog ad of a Playoff with the penalty spinner overhead of the 60 PP type with no place to insert penalty boxes, but no ad I am aware of for the penalty box PP., perhaps it's from 1959? more likely 60.

It seems odd today that 2 same sided games could be available in the same year, but with so many different regions and markets to supply for the heavy demand, it really isnt odd at all.

The plastic goalie rods are interesting, the knob is A1 for control.
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wishbookweb.com/ (1962 Sears page 345)

Irwin slot type with odd SC overhead placement.
ReggieJ44
CTHA Western Rep
CTHA Western Rep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, Andrew!! Thanks for the research!! Clapping
Now you have to write a history of tournaments, leagues and players!! Smile

Reggie Stefaniszyn ETHL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Collecting & History All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: