Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

improving my stiga game, work in progress
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
french-guy
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOnight we played for around 4-5 hours and didn't see the time on the clock Shocked Shocked

this game is just fantastic. We have loads of fun !

the game plays very well. We are not so good, as beginners, but we can have a lot of fun. It was a thing I was afraid about.

the game is really sturdy and rigid. Never moved from the table, it seems that just with the big rubber pads and extra weight is enough to secure the game.

The only issue we had...my friend bended a rod. Not too dramatic, I succeed to reshape it straight. But I believe the rigidy of my wood frame make the rods more subject to bending. I'm thinking about changing the rods with glass fiber or even carbon fiber. I saw some kite accessories in a local sport shop. Since stiga is an european game, certainly built in metric system I shoudl find the same diameters. I believe I'll change the rods one by one, when I'll severly bend them, to save money.

I'm also seriously thinking about adding a dome. Too bad the shipping from USA will be certainly too expensive for my budget. I have to find a new mac gyver idea to make the same Cowboy Rolling On Floor Laughing

Last thing, I need goal deflectors. To keep the DIY mac gyver spirit, I found a piece of acrylic glass in my workshop, and I'll try to build a couple of these.
french-guy
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update the topic, since I'll certainly try to improve my table in the next weeks.

I was thinking about carbon or fiber rods. I saw some rods used for sport kite, with the same metric dimensions in a sport store.

Do you have to "machine" the rods to fit the stiga table ? I mean, do the rods are plain rods, or is there any slot or something on it ? I believe fiber rods (probably not the carbon ones) should be moachined with a dremel tool...

thanks
PaulShabi26
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Wood Frame for STIGA Reply with quote

Hey French-Guy!

I saw your STIGA High-Speed Table Hockey Game with the wood frame and I thought that it was superb and amazing! I have a NHL Stanley Cup game and was looking to do the same thing with my game. If you could remember, could you help me on how to get started on the wood frame project?

Thanks a lot!
Paul Smile
Scott123
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse my naive question, I'm fairly new ... but why would you have to "level" the ice surface? It's a new game ... I just bought one (NHL version) and it seems fine. I thought that was primarily done on real old vintage games, like over 30 years old.

Do have another question though ... what are those holes along the boards behind the goals for? It's almost as if they anticipated people may want to put lights there. Am I right about this?

Welcome all responses ... thank you.
ThrashersFan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott -

You'll find the stiga surface starts to sag in spots pretty quickly especially around the left and right wings. Truth of the matter is that the black plastic supports that run side to side just aren't effective over time as they begin to warp as well.

I know several folks on this board have tried to reenforce the plastic "beams" but I'm not sure how those efforts have turned out. I did something similar to French-Guy but I ran my supports end-to-end and haven't been happy with it so I am going to modify my supports to also run side to side. I think it's the only way to eliminate the sagging at the wings.

As for the hole I think Stiga intended to put a light in at some point but never did. I used the hole to set up my own lights with a simple battery connection so that when a puck is in the cup the back of the puck ejector creates the contact to give power to the light. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out a way to work the lights once I removed the puck cups and installed the ProPuck Catchers from tablehockeypro.com.
oilersfan99
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thrashersfan,

You'll want to test it out, but locate an infrared receiver and emitter at a point in the puckcups where the puck always passes. The puck will break the beam and will trigger a light. Probably cost you ten-ish dollars for both puck catchers.

Joel.
ThrashersFan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joel - I've sorta put the light project on hold behind some other things I'm working on but I'll look at this option when i go to work on the lights again.
french-guy
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the comments,

the wood frame is pretty simple. It is really a frame, made of 4 bits of wood glued together.

Inside this frame, you find a few wood cleats to support the plastic posts of the game.

The game plastic frame itself is secured to the wood frame with 4 metal bolts. So I can disassemble everthing if needed. You can see details on the construction here :

http://sportsurtable.blogspot.fr/search/label/hockey%20sur%20table

My next project is to make a wood feet assembly for the game, and also rework the ice surface. I'll use a 2.5mm underneath acrylic (like plexiglass) sheet under the "high speed" surface of the game (wich will be sticked on the acrylic board with double sided tape).

I'm also thinking of changing at least the longest rods with carbon fiber ones. My friends play the game very casually, and often bend the metal rods.

But I'm also thinking of simply change the game for something easier to play, more "arcade", because the stiga game, even if it's a great game, is still too complex for my (lame) friends.
french-guy
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG update. Today I was thinking about my next project for this table. So I first removed the wooden bars behind the game. Then I realized something new : without the wooden bars, the game was better. Embarassed

The rods were sliding easier, the handling faster, and even the ice overall levelling was better. But the handling was especially better, that was a big surprise. Some moves I was trying to learn magically appeared easier. Shocked

I just realize that all the work I made...Just helped to ruin the original game Laughing

So my advice : don't modify too much the original game. Yes my work made it look better, but not made the game itself play better. It probably also helped to make the rods bending : the game frame I made was really heavy, making all the player "strenght" going into the rods. Bad idea I had.

I'm now in process of making the game in its stock form. I'm currently searching some a glue (or anything giving same result) similar to the one provided with the game, instead of the double sided tape I used.

Any help will be appreciated Cheers
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's to keep the surface down, try repositional glue for scrapbooking, available at hobby stores. Here we have Adele's 'Tack It Over And Over Again' glue, about $10 for effectively a lifetime supply.
urbanj
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I wish the photos were still available!

It sounds like there were a lot of modifications I would like to make,but without pictures I'm just guessing on what was done. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: