Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bend-resistant rods for Munro?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Bend-resistant rods for Munro? Reply with quote

Hi,

I find Munro rods much trickier to straighten than Stiga.

If anyone has the equivalent of the Ruiz carbon fibre rods (John F was saying something about music wire?), I'd be happy to buy some.

Anyone?
Stephen
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are certainly much trickier. I've been restraightening them for about 5 years now in the TTTHC. We are now to the point where they need to be replaced.
I'm experimenting with carbon fiber rods right now. The initial results look promising, but we really won't know about the feel and durability until we play a season on them. ( fiberglass has too much flexibility)

If all goes well, I'll post some details on how to convert them.

If you want to see what I have so far just pm me.

http://ttthc.webs.com
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I wouldn't let a rod-bender like that anywhere near my game. You must be a wizard at straightening them!
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished converting one game and the results, so far, are very good.
I only did the centers and wings. It has a slightly different feel to it, either from being a little lighter, or a tiny amount of flexibility in the rods now. Overall the difference is barely perceptible. I have 4 more to finish.

If you're interested in trying this, you should contact me first. There's a few tips and suggestions that I have which would make life a lot easier. I'm learning this by trial and error, error, error.

Here's a freebie: Never sand carbon fiber rods. The microscopic splinters that you get in your fingers are painful for 3 or 4 days.
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get the Munro gear boxes off the rods without junking them? Or for that matter, the white plastic parts that hold the stems in place?
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take apart the gear box. I left that intact and cut the rod with a hacksaw (approx. 3-10 inches from the back of the gearbox depending on where you want to splice). I used a nylon sleeve (spacer) and epoxied the gearbox assembly, spacer and carbon fiber piece (cut to remaining length of entire rod) all at the same time. Later, I covered the entire joint or splice with more epoxy (so it looks like a skinny cocoon). There's actually more detailed steps involved, but I didn't want to get too technical at this point.

The plastic guides that are on the surface can be pried up using a skinny meat fork. The barbs on the player post that hold it in place will tear some of the plastic guide, so when you replace the guide later on you must give it a quarter turn after getting it completely on. Then it will have a little plastic left for the barbs to hold it in place.

Note: After doing this 2 or 3 times to a rod guide it will be ruined, so make sure you get things the way you want them on the first try.
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps. A picture is worth...
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - these will help if I can't figure out a way to replace rather than splice.
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the season is over and we had NO bent rods all year. The splices held up perfectly with no slippage or breakage. The games (4) had approximately 144 vigorous matches played on each one this season. The big surprise was that there was very little, if any, difference in the feel of the carbon fiber vs. the steel rods.

I learned a bit as I did this last winter, and carbon fiber, epoxy and brass tubing is the way to go if you are going to splice. I picked up a few tricks along the way too, so feel free to contact me if you want any advice.

http://ttthc.x10host.com
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and encouraging! I'm slowly mustering the parts to do my own. I'm using coiled spring pins and 5/32" music wire.
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, I present with some excitement, the permanent solution to my bent and bendable Munro Bobby Orr rods.

http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/sklump/library/Around-and-About/2014-munro-bobby-orr-rods-music-wire

I have 6 extra music wire lengths (good for 8 players - defencemen take half a length each) and about 39 extra collars left. Anyone wants them, let me know and we can meet next tournament at the latest.

It still has to cure overnight, but I am confident that this is it. The feel is exactly the same, the weight is the same, the touch is the same, the spin is the same (perfect symmetry). It still needs vigourous testing once it cures to see if epoxy is the right glue for the job.
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post-script:

You know that feeling you get when you shank the tar out of a rod, possibly making a great torque-heavy play, but even if it scores, it's a frustrating moment because you know you're going to have to bend back that rod, surely it must be unusable now?

I still get that moment as often, but now when I step back and go hands-off, hands-on the rod, it tracks perfectly.

fireworks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: