Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY Munro Ramps/Nets/Tournies/BBQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Tournaments & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: NY Munro Ramps/Nets/Tournies/BBQ Reply with quote

Re NY;

Are the made for Munro ramps behind the net (Nice) available?

If yes Please send me a PM or answer here.

Are future Munro events planned for Munro?

OCT 17, NY COLECO TOURNAMENT- Have Fun!

Andrew

PS-Re ramps, and or, Please give easy to understand advice on how to make them... I said Please 8-D

Last edited by andrew2010 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going the other way: I have ramps and am taking them out to put in soft mesh pockets instead. The ramps can catch pucks up on edge (I.e., vertically against the bottom of the wooden goal cavity), and the hard sides can spit out diagonal shots. I'd guess I get about half again as many in-and-outs as WM's games, tricked out with mesh pockets.

We are looking at doing a Munro event in the Spring at Kingston ON, about 2 hours' drive from Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa.
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, my outbound mail seems stuck in my outbox without hitting the sentbox.

Andrew2010, message follows.

The ramps were nothing special. When I do carpentry, I call it Wood Butchery to avoid tarring what carpenters do with the abominations that I do to wood.

Basically I have a couple of upright sections, one on either side, then I trace where the ramp is going with a pencil on the inside of the uprights. With a diamond (Dremel) cutting disc or a humble hand saw, I cut a notch into the uprights for the ramp. Then I slide the ramp into place and screw the hell out everything.

The ramps attach to the under-frame, which I made out of a sheet of chipboard. The frame's purpose was to hold a bunch of bolts that I could tweak to support the table level.

It looks like hell from underneath but the playing experience of my Bobby Orr is among the finest in Eastern Canada. I'd stack it up against any table except maybe Dave Kraehling's showpiece.

http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/sklump/media/Around-and-About/bobby-orr-restoration/2013-08-10141536_zpscfdff948.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

When we played on the Bodycheck prototypes the ramps were made of a thin cardboard like shiny paper which had adhesive if that's the word on the bottom. I was told the paper was very expensive and those sheets I was given 10+ years ago are in a drawer waiting patiently for me. Dan used a clay like material underneath which he could easily adjust until he was happy with it- imho, there is good and bad with all designs- those used in the NY final looked good to me- I was hoping to simplify the process as much as possible. Thanks for sharing.

We can agree to disagree about the best knobs.
Munro knobs are 3 fingers- 1 is about 1/2 on the knob and 1/2 on the rod, giving more control though harder on the fingers. As the knobs are tapered they give superior control to any other I've tried but this and so much of TH is subjective/personal preferences.

My puck idea was a fluke discovery- your league? guys idea I can not comment on as I've never tried but, as you stated better yet? I am curious what experience and specifically what did you use/try with my idea?

SDs nets look Beautiful! how do the dimensions vary from stock nets?
After time do roller pucks not wear out the netting?
How/what does one do to replace if holes occur.

My only real challenge with Munro tables (same challenge with most) is that
over time the slots widen, especially so and more so when the slots aren't straight- the centerman slots on Munro eventually render the game of no use imho- any quick fix ideas?

Some Great players make lousy coaches and some Good players make Great coaches, my point was that K D would be a better coach than player I believe. I think you were trying to make another point altogether ;-D

Nelson Mandela was asked how he could be friend guards etc and not carry any sort of grievance- he said time is so limited, if you want to change the world you cant allow any negative energy to stick around- easier said than done but, if the most dedicated, opinionated and passionate, ever learned this lesson and only focused on how we could serve the game- thus realizing our own lack of importance wow, TH would than be transformed- Team- together everyone achieves more- it would help if we all forgot about spitballs as you call them- maybe than there would be an OTH site.

Happy New Year one and all and all as 1!
Andrew

Last edited by andrew2010 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBQ and NY might get more players if they answered emails and other

attempts at communication! Things that make me go hmmm.
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Andrew,

The ramps I had in mind are a totally separate thing from what you had in mind. The Bodycheck ramps are for behind the net so the puck doesn't get stuck there, and mine were to send the puck out of the rink (underneath) after a goal.

I haven't noticed any widening of the slots so far, and I've had it for three years (before which it probably sat in a basement for 35 of the 40 years prior). My guess is that you would need to make or commission another surface out of melamine-coated chipboard.

I find Stiga ends best for me, since they are longer and tighter, so they don't spin on the rod when you torque it hard - especially with a heavy puck. All motion translated consistently to the rod.

I prefer the roller puck. One time I have used on another (amazing, all-metal-and-rubber) game, a roller puck made from two tiny ball bearings (one on each side) and the sides cut out of rubber like from an actual puck. That one was brilliant. The spin on the pass becomes much more important on a roller puck.

I think SD's nets are the same as stock in width and height, but they are deeper by about 15 mm. The mesh hasn't worn out on mine yet, no signs of wear of any kind. It would be easy enough to re-string them, keep an eye out at the dollar store for something made out of mesh that might suit, or use one of those eco-friendly mesh cotton produce bags.

If K D means Super Dave, he is an amazing player when the chips are down. Occasionally I will take a round robin point or two from him that he doesn't need, but I have seen him in the playoffs and I am nowhere near that level. I can't imagine him being a better coach than player (see Gretzky).
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw little indents into the end of the rod, fill with $ store brand super glue,
put the knob on and it will never slip again. Shorter knobs allow for more play variation within the movement of making plays- A lot of people prefer longer I know, some even thinner, not I.

After you play, under the board there is a sort of saw dust- from the board... slowly but surely widening the slots. When a player blessed with
elite speed uses plays where he goes to the net with the center from a far,
thus disguising the low tip, a lot, 100 hours of play later, slot is changed.

KD posted about Stiga coaching a while back, and we posted about it- Not important.

Imho, anything that keeps the flow/integrity of the game- ramps, higher glass, it's an obvious choice. 3rd person faceoffs, stop play stop play, isn't all bad but not all good either- but I would silently accept what ever is accepted wherever I decided to play, which appears to be no where out east with things as they are.
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toys are us sells 2 games with mini roller pucks, these fit into most water bottle and other knobs with a little modification for practice pucks, if anyone wants details/shortcuts lmk.

I was talking about roller pucks Steven, agreed though Eagle diamond pucks work nicely on most games.

A TH puck expert (imho ) likes the Munro plastic magnetic hollow puck with magnet removed.
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my net questions Steven.

2 more-how do SDs Beautiful nets compare to stock nets for in/outs?

What's the visual, does the net bulge/move, is it visually more realistic?
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD's game has a PVC quarter-turn pipe to a chute under the game, so in-and-outs are less frequent than stock, at least.

My nets with the rubber collars underneath rise up and smack down again on a heavy crossbar shot with the roller puck. Surely, the shooter would think, it needs a tap-down. But it doesn't: the elasticity of the collar has taken it all and the rubber has not shifted on the peg.

It's like that with music wire rods too: it feels like the shooter has just bent the rod, but the elasticity of the wire has taken it and returned to form.
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand, remember when you type you know exactly what your talking about, the reader not always. Happens to me too!

If I put SD's nets straight onto my game, would in/outs decrease?

Does anyone in Ont. use behind the net ramps to keep the puck in play?
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nets themselves aren't the main factor in in-and-outs. The netting itself spits the puck out about as often as the plastic. As far as I can tell, more often, in-and-outs come from the back edge of the hole or the cup underneath the net.

I have never heard of using ramps behind the net on Munro to keep it in play. We just swipe the puck into the corner for the nearest winger.
andrew2010
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, we do the same, place the puck in the corner of closest wing past red line to be precise. (when we play, which isn't often ;-(

thought they would lesson in/outs since there deeper.

all in all, nets are great as is the efforts you SD and others put into playability!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Tournaments & Events All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: