Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US Open thank-you thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> U.S. Open Tournament
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: US Open thank-you thread Reply with quote

Just completely exhausted after two days of non-stop table hockey set-up, play, and running two big tournaments, so if I skip anybody here, please know it wasn’t intentional. I thought about waiting until I recover, but I think time is of the essence when it comes to thank-yous, so…

First off, let me thank all the players who traveled to the Stiga US Open and Coleco US Open this weekend. Players certainly have their choice of tournaments on both boards to go to, so we take it as a sign of honor and respect that you chose us. We’re only as good as the players who come out to play, so thank you. As long as you keep coming, we’ll keep putting them on.

*Thanks to John Power. We never would have hit the heights we did on the Stiga tournament without John driving cross-country with his Coleco s-slots to create a whole big tournament from scratch in just six weeks. We had incredible response and hope to do it again, perhaps on a Sunday so players can get in more games. He brought “it” big time this year and took an always-great weekend and made it special.

*Greg Scoma: for gathering scores all weekend, posting some Friday night results online, and for taking over running one of the pools during the playoffs Saturday. And providing several Coleco s-slot games. And for stepping up to the plate and knocking one out at a crucial time…driving the Brothers Cote to the bus station (a 45-minute each-way trip in a city that’s foreign to him). We couldn’t have pulled this weekend off without Greg’s help.

*Jeff Thill: for gathering scores as always, getting me some lunch, posting results and doing whatever I asked him to without complaint.

*Rich Thill: for building those absolutely beautiful s-slot games in a tight timeframe. They played great. (I’m not an s-slot guy or expert, but I really liked the way Rich’s games played and the way Dave Kraehling’s North Stars game played. Smooth.)

*Jeff Farwell: for filling out the playoff bracket poster boards and always asking what he could do without being asked.

*Paul Brotz: thanks for gathering scores and helping run one of the divisions during the playoffs, which always get crazy trying to keep players going and picking their games, etc. And thanks for the t-shirt! Looking forward to Detroit next March. Thanks to Paul and Tim Walker’s recruiting efforts, the DTHL came out in force this year. Paul and Josh also are rapidly improving, and Paul used his old Munro skills to shine in the Coleco tournament.

*Pierre Chastenais: thanks for the score sheet innovation and for helping the A pool playoffs moving along. And for always supporting our tournaments, wherever they’re held.

*Joe Salazar: for gutting it out Saturday even though he was recovering from being sick.

*Peter Basdeckis: he’s a newcomer to the Chicago TH world, but he played both events and brought his fine-looking Blackhawks s-slot game to the festivities.

*Dwayne Stegner: I’d never seen his Munro games in person until Saturday. Wow, they are sharp looking. Lotta craftsmanship went in there. I’ve never played Munro much, but the high quality, classy-looking games are enough to make me want to play in the WTHA next season. And to his wife, Darlene, for doing her best to input scores on Friday night when I got pressed into service playing as well as running the show.

*Thanks to all the Coleco guys who played Stiga, and to all the Stiga guys who played Coleco. I really appreciate support of both events.

*Paul Ruiz: thanks for keeping this site up-and-running. Being able to post live updates here was a great thing. And for the souvenir puck, and for supporting our tournaments.

*John Medema: he helps every year with setup and cleanup, two of the most thankless jobs. And this year, he gathered scores. In short, he fills in wherever needed in a significant way. With Garry gone, John is helping to fill the void in keeping the tournament going.

*Candy Butler: thanks to Garry’s wife for coming out to present the Garry Butler Memorial Trophy to the winner. She had to wait a little longer than I think she wanted to (given the lateness of some players and the OTs that inevitably occur in the playoffs, the event ran longer than advertised), but I’m glad she was there to honor Garry’s presence. I managed to avoid getting choked up about Garry, a U.S. Open co-founder who as you know passed away from cancer in October 2005, but it was difficult.

And lastly, thanks to Jim Rzonca, around whom all of this revolves. If it weren’t for his dogged determination to put on top-notch events with high-quality games and trophies and prizes, none of this would happen. He lives and breathes this stuff every single day, since 2002 with nary a break.

Again, if I forgot anyone who did anything, it wasn’t intentional. It's not that I didn't take note of your contribution; I'm just brain-dead after the last two days. Please e-mail me and I’ll edit this post. See you all next year!

Sincerely,

Eric
http://www.lemonttablehockey.com
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Eric. Well you know, Joe Salazar was sick so nature made it so he'd win the Raffle. Very Happy

Congrates to everyone there, I think people are starting to realize how much effort goes into these things even though they cannot understand the full lenghts of it all unless they actually go through it themselves.

None the less, the big numbers that are drawn shows that we've got great potential.

Only thing we need to watch out for are ego's and gelousy. Imagine each & everyone of us helping one another, being possitive and happy for the other when he acheive's something positive that has to do with table hockey etc, etc. That would be great no?

I think we are moving in the right direction, all we need is to continue advertising ourselves in hockey arenas, schools, and anywhere else sports related.

King Carlo Smile
jsal35
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank Jim and Eric for putting on another professional event. Mr Rich Thill for his work of art s-slot re builds! John Power and Greg Scoma for making the S-slot game a reality in Chicago. Even with all those guys working hard, it wouldnt be as great if it werent for all of the travelling players who make the US Open what it is, the professional US championship.
Big thx to Carlo Bossio for donating a custom S-slot. A re-creation that is truly superior to the original. Now that I have his "Canadiens" arena at home I hope to put some good time on it.
Unfortunately for me I wasnt feeling too well Fri night and had to cxl, but felt well enough to play in the Saturday marathon. Which ended up being lucky for me, because I won Carlo's beautiful game.
Big thanks and kudos to Rob Chargo. And of course, congratulations to Bernie Kunzler.
No one exhibits more qualities of a champion than Mr Bernie Kunzler!
Now I can get back to recovering from a massive table hockey hangover!
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably update this post later on, but I just want to take a moment and say thank you to the Chicago gang for two great tournaments.

As always Jim, the Stiga games were in great shape. You won't find better tables anywhere on the tournament circuit. In the three years that I've attended the tournament the games have gotten better and better each year. I really don't think the games can get any better then this year. Great job J.R.

Eric the tournament ran smoothly thanks to you for managing it.

Thanks again guys. More to follow.

Paul
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Eric! What a fantastic ****U.S. OPEN**** weekend in Lemont. I would also like to thank ~ Phil Hamilton TABLEHOCKEYGAMES.COM for the Stiga Games and the rods necessary to make this ****STIGA U.S. OPEN**** army of games right for this event. Thank you to my father Jim Rzonca, John Medema, Jeff Thill, Rich Thill, Peter Basdeckis and Eric Krol for helping me set the events. Thanks to Garry Butler's brother Steve Butt for tending bar. Thanks to my lovely wife Judy and 2 daughters Claire and Julia for serving our guests. Thank you Carlo for your CARLECO raffel game offering but even more so for getting Cote's to Chicago! Thanks to Dwayne Stegner Mr. World Table Hockey Assocation for bringing his BEAUTIFUL games to the ****STIGA U.S. OPEN*** for everyone to enjoy. BIG THANKS to the Lithuanian World Center and the Lemont VFW Post for the 2 fine venues! Eric Krol set up, played in and ran both events without 1 problem. Ive never seen anything like it. Its quite amazing really folks.. Eric Krol is by far The Most Valuble Player of this weekend and PRINT IT! There's more. It will come.

For those who could not make it to the ****U.S. OPEN**** this go round, no worries. You will get this same opertunity again in 6 short months in Las Vegas January 2008 at the Lets Play Hockey International Table Hockey Championships AND 1 year from now in Chicago at the****U.S. OPEN**** weekend July 25-26 2008 in Lemont Illinois.

RIDE THIS WAVE!!!!!!
Jim Rzonca
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to John Labianca and Paul Brotz for the sweet t-shirts! And thanks to Tim Walker for not bending rods! LOL!!!

Thanks Again
Jim Rzonca
Eddie_TH
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard when asked how he felt during the past week-end, the so-called pioneer said he felt with his hands...

but he somehow put another entry into his own blog, found at:

http://www.clearblogs.com/hotaso

And as I discovered in reading whatever he tried to write, he obviously forgot to mention the fact the organisers and everyone involved did a great job in making this another stellar event! Instead, he concentrated his last lines on a lost friend, from what I've seen...

Just some candid observations from what I read around the numerous threads. I was away from computers all week-end long.
Eddie_TH
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard when asked how he felt during the past week-end, the so-called pioneer said he felt with his hands...

but he somehow put another entry into his own blog, found at:

http://www.clearblogs.com/hotaso

And as I discovered in reading whatever he tried to write, he obviously forgot to mention the fact the organisers and everyone involved did a great job in making this another stellar event! Instead, he concentrated his last lines on a lost friend, from what I've seen...

Just some candid observations from what I read around the numerous threads. I was away from computers all week-end long.
Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great time in Lemont and downtown Chicago! Thank you to the tournament organizers, helpers, players and their supportive families.

(More to come)

Did the Cotes make it home okay? I've not seen a post from Carlo.
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Greg, thanks for everything. I will get their thoughts when I have a little more time to speak with them. At first glance they seemed to enjoy themselves very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> U.S. Open Tournament All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: