Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY City International Classic 8 September, 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> NYCTHA INTL Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Greg and John for holding this event.

Also congrats to Martin for winning and to the
rest of the guys for making the trip and playing
some good old fashioned TH Smile

Warren
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks everyone for your kind words of support. Sorry about the delay regarding the results, but I don't own a portable pc and my computer is very slow.
Greg Scoma is working on the stats right now. The hockey sur table quebec folks know the format and all of that better than we do--they invented the system we used.

All of the credit for this tournament should go to the players who traveled to support it and help Greg, Lou and I make a dream come true, namely, to host a tournament with the best 5380 players in what many consider the best city in the world.

Martin Labelle defeated Burt Brassard in the Elite division finals. Patrick Cote was defeated in the playoffs and Dave Kraehling finished third in the elite division.
Congratulations Martin for winning $250 and the Empire Cup.
Burt Brassard took second in a very difficult field and won $150.
Dave--Super Dave Kraehling won third place and took home $100.

Len Mecca won the First Division trophy defeating John Power in the 1st division finals. Len is the NYCTHA Classic League First Division Champion.

Photos (by Steve Dowell) and Greg Scoma will be up on the site this week. Stats should be out later tonight; again, we are familiarizing ourselves with the format and programs. We support the Quebecois system, it is a great system, but a copy can never be as good as the original.

Thanks for your patience and kinds words everyone. Will there be a NY City International Classic in 2008? I hope so, but like the rest of you, I will just be playing in the next one .

By the way, 3 NYCTHA classic league players finished in the top 12 of the NY City International Classic--Lou Marinoff, Roger Owens and Greg Scoma. Congrats to them.

Thanks for your support folks. See you along the Dusty TH Trail . . . . .
colecojohnny@yahoo.com
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nyctha.us/
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Second thanks Reply with quote

Just an update: Greg Scoma is still working on the statistics from Saturday's tournament. Thanks players for your patience and support.

What are my impressions of the event? Well, several players who signed up neither called nor emailed me letting me know they were not coming, so we started late and that got the event off on a bad start.

Since I neither own a laptop or can afford to purchase software, we relied on a system that is foreign to us, even if it is brilliantly coneceived. Carlo and Martin both took the time to explain it all to me and I appreciate it, but the folks who were at the computer had some difficulty grasping it and this led to further delays and confusion.

As an organizer I take full responsibility for this and my apologies go out to all the players who did show up on time and had to endure the many delays throughout the day. Many many players told me that they had a great time, enjoyed the venue and learned a lot from the elite level players who were there. Thanks folks for your patience.

Other players were not so suttle in their impatience and rightfully so. To them, I promise never to invite them to another event that I organize, if ever I should organize another one. There is no reason why you should support an organizer who you feel is not up to your standards and I am most respectul and mindful of this as I go forward. Again, thank you for your support.

I learned many lessons both on and off the table and half the battle in life is knowing your limitations. I will most certainly not be in charge should there be a New York event next year, but this does not mean that I would not support one or encourage other players to come to NY to play again.

When I travel to Chicago or Montreal or Boston or Las Vegas or Gatineau I find my accomodations, show up on time, follow directions and show my gratitude. If there are delays, as there have been at every tournament I've attended, I control my emotions and do what I can to support the organizers. I have never had to be told that an organizer is doing the best he can because I know that already. To not understand this is absurd.

Thanks to all the players and supporters who showed up, including Al Cousineau: you are truly a remarkable friend and bona-fide humanitarian man; Wally Jabs and Derrick Jabs: I am saddened by the tough times your are currently enduring; Mike Caponetti and Lindsay: Your smiles and hard work encouraged me to keep things in perspective. Vic Handel for the loan of his table. Carlo Bossio for his support and explanation of the tournament format. Steve Dowell for the photographs; Adam for his work and support and guidance: you are our inspiration at the NYCTHA; Greg Scoma for his persistance; Lou for your donation of prize money and encouragement; Kenny Dubois for your patience and class; Steve Bernstein for your encouragement and support; and all the Canadian players, especially Burt Brassard, Denis Begin, Dave Kraehling, Patrick Cote, Michel Decarie, and Daniel Bordealeau for your classy response to the bumps in the road. This tournament wasn't Montreal or Quebec City or Sherbrooke, but it was done in the spirit of friendship and respect for a game that has its roots in Quebec and the Quebecois culture.

Congratulations Martin Labelle for your championship.

John P.
colecojohnny@yahoo.com
New York City Table Hockey Association

A big warm thanks to Paul Ruiz for your generosity, class, and friendship.
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: click on "Photo Album" then click on "New Yor Reply with quote

Photos by Steve Dowell of the NY City International Classic are posted on the NYCTHA site:
http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=nyctablehockey

Click on PHOTO ALBUM
then click on "NY City International Classic by Steve Dowell."

Do not click on Stats and Photos.

Thanks Steve for the photos and the B-blade inserts. Your generosity is most appreciated.

All the best,
JP
colecojohnny@yahoo.com
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Final Stats in: Great work Greg Scoma Reply with quote

Greg Scoma just posted the final stats from the NY City International Classic tournament on the NYCTHA site:
http://www.nyctha.us

On the left side of the Welcome Page, in the margin, you will see the updated stats from the tournament that was held in Brooklyn NY on 9/8/07.

Martin Labelle won the Elite Division and Len Mecca won the Players Division. It was a great time and I want to thank Greg for his time and great work with the stats.

I hope that others in the NYCTHA will now take the baton and run with it and organize the NY City International Classic for next year.
Thanks Greg Cheers
colecojohnny@yahoo.com
Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.

All,
There was a lot of setting up to do for the tournament, so I appreciated not having to be responsible for the statistics on the day of our tournament, as surely that work would have detracted from my performance. And, I did pretty well as a result finishing 10th.

I want to publicly "thank" John Power (aka ColecoJohnny, aka JohnBenej) for working his keester off to put on a great tournament. Recently, I sent an email to our fellow players about what a treat it was to bring together players from central Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and the states in-between, most of whom have never played each other, let alone played against the cream of TH from Quebec, Canada. If you look at the list of players who competed, John brought a veritable "Who's Who" of top tier TH players from today and yesterday, near and far to his neighborhood. "Job well done John."

By the way, "thanks" goes out to Bill Galatioto and especially his daughter for helping me assemble and put up NYCTHA backdrops around the venue and hand out gifts to the players.

On the day, I did very well against the best players. I was up two goals late into a game with Denis Begin (#6 Quebec), scored on myself and lost the game. Surpised Lou Marinoff (#13 Quebec) in the playoffs scoring at will and winning Game 1, losing Game 2, and scoring at the buzzer in Game 3 (final), a disallowed goal. I lost on the first play of o/t, LW-C. Lou went on to place as the top American player, finishing 4th. Other Americans: Kenny Dubois 6th, Roger Owens 8th.

Later I shut out Daniel Bordeleau, (#12 Quebec) 6-0 in Game 1 of our series, lost Game 2, but won Game 3 to earn 10th Place. By the way, for those of you who do not know Danny, he is one of the most jovial of people. I always look forward to seeing him.

Again, I could not have done as well as I did if it were not for being relieved of my normal responsibilities. I don't know what you, the reader, thinks when going to a tournament. But, I desire to perform well to be rewarded for the time, money and effort I put into the game. But, as importantly, since I was a kid I've desired to perform well at these tournaments, because I represent my fellow players, our league. If I do well, I think it reflects well on them. If on the other hand, I do poorly at a tournament, but do well within my league, then a person could conclude that my league or its players are not strong, which is not true.

Last edited by Sabre_in_Virginia on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(back to back posts, see post above)

Back to the statistics...

Again, thank you to John and everyone for you patience.

John was one day premature in his thanks. Actually, I just now finished at 4 AM, neatly organizing and posting all of the data from our tournament. I have now completed the full repair and publication of our September, 2007 NYCTHA International Classic Tournament's statistics.

A goal of any tournament should be to publish the complete statistics within 48-72 hours of that tournament. However, "Murphy's Law" is ever-present. Without going into detail, data was painstakingly recovered and re-assembled over the final weeks of September. In October, my job interrupted putting that data into Internet-ready format.

In the past few days I have taken the work I did in September and:
* updated the Elite Division / "A" Group and 1st Division / "B" Group Playoff Rounds.

* updated the Preliminary Round Robin's "Red" and "Blue" Group's scores and standings.

* organized the overall flow and aesthetics of the webpage displaying this information.

* did the math and repaired the Secondary Round Robin's Scores and Standings

All done. All fixed. All published.

Visit www.NYCTHA.US see left side of main page, go to "Updated - NYCTHA Int'l Classic Tournament Results"
Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW ! PHOTOS of the NYC Int'l Classic Tournament, Sept '07

Click on "Photo Albums" lower left of this page. From the drop down menu titled, "Select Photo Album" look for and select "NYCTHA_Int'l Classic_Tournament_2007".

There you will find photos of the players, the public including the Marines, gift winners, supporting family members and workers who helped behind the scenes to make the day a rousing success. All photographs have a description of who or what is in the picture. Any improvements or suggestions should be emailed to Greg Scoma (see left side, "Contact Info" link).

To enlarge a photo just click on it. If you would like a copy of a photo, contact me.

Visit www.NYCTHA.US

There is also another photo album with many great photos taken on the same day by Steve Dowell. The name of that photo album is, "NY City International Classic by Steve Dowell." ~gbscoma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> NYCTHA INTL Classic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: