Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your most desired add on to your table hockey game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oilersfan99
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: What is your most desired add on to your table hockey game? Reply with quote

Hey all,

What is your most desired add on to your table hockey game? I want to borrow your ideas.

I'm thinking like cool electronics, a cup holder, custom made stand, beer cooler under table, cool stuff like that. I'm making a table for myself, and want it to be as INSANE as it can be. Pretty much nothing is off limits.

Here is what I have, or will have when I am finished two scoreboards for two gentlemen.

- Gondola scoreboard with score and clock displays on two sides. Three video screens. One with a slideshow of favorite hockey pictures, and two with video feeds from game. Puck chute activated by clock. Controls to operate all of this. Scoreboard mounted lights for proper illumination.

- Full, customized game sound events and selectable playlists for listening to music during game or at other times.

- Glass panes in dado slots around the boards.

- Goal detection system.

That's more or less it, but I'm looking for any cool ideas other than electronic stuff.

I'd love to hear ideas, if you are interested in sharing.

If not, I'll post what I have when it's refined enough to post.

Joel.
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, its got to be GLASS.

Full Glass on a level (vintage) game--is very very exciting. You're basically bringing the dead game back to life, and it reciprocates by giving you and the other player joy Cheers

Dwayne Stegner has this round gilbert munro game, with the goal lights, so that whenever a goal is scored, the goal light goes on. Well, at one time, he took one of the goal lights out and installed a BUZZER!

So every time the "home" side scored a goal, the buzzer would go off. Unfortunately, it required way too much current and just smoked out and had to be replaced with the goal light again.

Oh, how I wish I could have heard that buzzer. Dwayne is an evil genius Clapping
Steve Dowell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: add on's Reply with quote

Yes, indeed, GLASS that completely surrounds the game. EVERY game should have glass around the playing surface. Next should be working goal and period lights, a gondola above the game and finally, crowd noise! Crowd noise is exillerating! It can fire up the home team while utterly destroying your opposition in the process! Blazing Guns
lindros88
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

Have you thought about experimenting with a wireless (radio) connection to a scoreboard.

I was thinking of rigging three 'dollar store' style MP3/FM emitters to send music/sound, as well as home and away score data via those unused FM 88-89 frequencies that could be picked up by three corresponding 'dollar store' radios embedded within the scoreboard. Each emitter/radio combo would be configured to operate on its own unique frequency, thus completing their corresponding circuits.

Would be great for ceiling hung scoreboards that don't need to be attached to the game.

Mike

Last edited by lindros88 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
butler34
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I have been working on a puck dropper that looks like a scoreboard with hockey cards under glass on the sides. It's practical and it also gets some of my old cards out of the shoebox in my closet.
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass

oilersfan99
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike and all,

I agree that glass is the way to go. I'm using individual panes to get the look I want. I bent the panes to the corner dimensions using some boiling water and a template and then cut the acrylic into panes.

That's a pretty neat idea Mike. Way cheaper that using bluetooth to transfer data. I was tossing something like that around - with score data being saved to a file. If you try it, I'd love to see it - or help you out if I can.

As a sub topic, what is a generally agreed height for table hockey stands?

Joel.

Joel.
Flyers10
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say around 33 or 34 inches to the center of the rods (my Carrom SS and Foos are 33 1/2". My Stiga is 31 but that's because I used that Husky Workforce X table from Home Depot.

Trace
Flyers10
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some boo, cheer or announcer buttons like what Mike (Lindros88) has on his table or the Super Chexx has. I guess when I think of the ultimate table hockey game Mike's is tops, it's so unique too.

Are you going to build from the ground up like Mike did or modify an existing game?

Trace
ChallengerSRT8
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICECHEXX wrote:

That's a gorgeous game John.

Is it a Canadian model?
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John! That one is a keeper!

Very Nice
Jim Rzonca
lindros88
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyers10 wrote:
I think some boo, cheer or announcer buttons like what Mike (Lindros88) has on his table or the Super Chexx has. I guess when I think of the ultimate table hockey game Mike's is tops, it's so unique too.

Many thanks Smile

I am actually working on a "build it yourself" YouTube video if someone wishes to recreate it.

Mike

Last edited by lindros88 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my Munro All-Star Canadian #95325 ( 944, 948), very similar to Dwayne's game that John Power was describing. It looks better than it plays, but all in all a very nice game.
oilersfan99
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trace,

Thanks for the table height. I'm gonna make up something comemorating the Oilers (man, they are brutal right now). The whole table is an Oilers themed table to go with my home office.

I've been making it from scratch. I don't have a great desire to take something and modify it. It would probably be easier, but I like the process of building something that is completely integrated. Doesn't make it easy though.

The boo and crowd noise buttons would be a neat feature to add for sure.

Cool!

Joel.
Steve Dowell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Add ons Reply with quote

Oh yeah baby. Crowd noise is it. If you think lights, bells and buzzers add to a game being played, wait until crowd noise is incorporated!

I recorded my crowd noise from the John Madden NFL 2003 video game. I use it once or twice a year. It drives my opponants crazy, elsewise, I'd use it much more often. But it's wild!

On my Coleco 5340, I inserted small red goal & green period lights which fit perfectly into the posts behind each net and wired them to switches upon the side of the game. The switches must be operated by the referee and the crowd noise; via small tape recorder, I keep velcroed to the game's side so it's easily operated by ... ME. That's home ice advantage! Devil
marcuscgg
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would ike to see on a Stiga Game is:

1: Basic Overhead Scoreboard with Time, Goals Scored. Able to adjust time and Goals by switches. Battery operated or wall plug in.

2. Goal Lights either automatic or manual operation

3. Puck Chute with overhead scoreboard. Holds 10 pucks or so. Puck chute controlled manually or auto.

4. Plexiglass surrounding entire ice.

Thats About it.

The more fancier the electronics the more expensive. Basic Electronics would be better and cheaper.

Also If Stiga Cared about its Products these suggested accessories would already be on the game.

The Ultimate Stiga Game would be: Regular Stiga Game with Plexiglass surrounding entire game, Carbon Rods from Table Hockey Pro, Puck Catchers, Better supports to improve left wing sag, 50th Anniversary Ice sheet, goal lights and also more pucks.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a Stiga I would say deflectors & puck catchers.

For the Coleco and Munro I would say glass around the whole game.

-Paul
oilersfan99
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey marcuscgg,

I like having multiple pucks in the puck chute. That's a really cool idea.

I agree with you on everything you say about Stiga. They're a disposable game, right?

Joel.

Joel.
Steve Dowell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: add ons Reply with quote

You know...I've even thought about buying some of the plastic audience stands that can be found in hobby stores and a bunch of the fake plastic people to put into the stands, then attaching them along the sides of a game. This would be really cool to see.

And also what Joel and I were discussing months ago...bank lighting around the game! ...say, about one or two hundred small lights all around and above the ice as if it were an actual replica of major stadiums. Cheers
butler34
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all over the replica stadium idea, I have thought about this for a long time...build up the stands around the game and have the outside look like the actual building itself..It would be great for some of the original six buildings.
oilersfan99
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a replica stadium would be neat. I would set it up so that you have the roof on the building being a protective coover for the game.

When you want to play - you take off the 'roof' and there's the game.

It's crazy insane, but it would be pretty good.

The rink that I would use is basically circular, so it would take up a lot of room.

Joel.
Jefman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool thread you guys are on to. I have drawn up a plan to basically depict the large rectangular original six arena's ala Forum,Maple Leaf Gardens,Olympia,Boston Garden,Chicago Stadium, & MSG II: In each case I thought a four sided rectangle with the corners squared off and stands descending onto the table hockey game surface that could allow a game to be slid into the middle of the structure. In other words craft it so that you can slide the game through both ends. Obviously the purpose of the structure would be to anchor down the game and thus keep it from moving and to keep it level. The bottom could be structured to allow the games to be elevated and leveled via underneath adjustors as well. The purpose would be to not only play a competetive game of table hockey but also to celebrate the era of the original six when a visit to any of those arenas was a difficult challenge. Each arena had subtle differences: i.e. Toronto and its egg shaped corners, Boston for being narrower than the regulation 85 feet, Chicago for being just 186 feet long as opposed to regulation 200 feet etc . Every arena boasted nuances that presented distinct home ice idiosyncrasies. Any ability to create a game holder that was based loosely on the old arena's that could hold say the varied slot pattern games that Eagle or Munro made in the 1960's would present a unique format to host and play various games that each possessed certain characteristics that make each game different and thus challenging to not only play but win on. To slide in a 1960 National and its great slot pattern of deep penetrating defenseman or a 61 Power Play with its narrow tight checking play and then a 1962 Official with its wide open yet fair layout would be a great motif for distinct historic table hockey unlike todays world of cookie cutter arenas and basically the dominant game of our time: the Stiga slot pattern game. Not to knock this splendid game but a nicely constructed arena holder that celebrates the lore of the original six era that can accomadate that era's various slot pattern games would be cool and is on my radar to be reality. I just need the time to craft this rendition of a structure that pays homage to the original six arenas that have all been phased out of todays modern world of standardization and uniformity. Whats wrong with each rink being a bit different? The ability to adapt helps to define a true champion. Just an opinion. Good thread guys, Regards...JM
oilersfan99
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffman,

That's freakin' awesome dude. The idea of sliding different slot patterns in to an arena would be pretty cool... even better if you have all patterns, and can practice on all of them before your mates come over Smile Having them go from one pattern to another would be fun to watch. If memory serves, Steve Dowell has the ability to use differnet slot patterns on his rig. I don't think it's quite as easy as sliding one table out for another.

Your idea reminds me of the stadium where the Arizona Cardinals play. The field is watered and groomed out of the arena, and is on tracks. When there
is a NFL game, they bring the field in to the stadium.

I would love to see that.

Good post.

Joel.
ThrashersFan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a stiga - puck deflectors and catcher, carbon fiber rods, a reliable leveling system OR a rigid ice surface that I can actually make a RW > C > RW pass without the puck hopping up in the air.

I'm working on goal lights and I think a goal horn would be great - maybe playing zombie nation.
Jefman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel: Let me just add this idea to this thread. The typical table hockey game is basically 18 X 36. However I have always bought,played and collected wide games like say the 60 National, the 62 Official and the 63 Stanley Cup. My 66 Finals game is 41 inches long. But I think the idea is to allow enough space within the slider/holder to allow access for most games. This way it could accomadate newer games like the Gretzky or Stiga. The outside structure could capture what the outside of these arenas...cathedrals if you will, looked like. I've talked at length to Pierre Chastenais about his hometown Montreal Forum and with Jim Rzonca about the great Chicago Stadium and what the home ice advantage meant to them and their hometown teams. I went to Olympia as a kid. The old Red Barn was a beauty. More functional than fashionable. I'm sure MLG fans or MSG or Boston Garden fans have similar great memories as well. But to slide in a game that you played as a kid...that represented your core hockey memories that style is cool. I play my best on a 66 Finals. why? ...not sure its what I like. I'm tall and I like the long rods and depth of the 41 inch length. Guys like Len Mecca swear by the 67 National G-155 and playing on it with yellow plastic stick players and the hollow puck. Jim Rzonca says the 1970 Official 5385 is the holy grail of games . Bill Stewart and Joe Salazar say the 62 Hockey Night in Canada represents the real deal.I'm just an old nostalgia type. I'm more partial to a 66 Chevy Chevelle with a 396 than say some modern day vehicle. Not to knock it its just what I grew up on. I mean most of us table hockey nuts are kids at heart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: