Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slot Pattern Design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Slot Pattern Design Reply with quote

Hello gents. I am currently designing a new slot pattern, and was looking to get some feedback if you have any. It will be a Coleco style game, the same dimensions as my last design(40" x 21" playing surface), but the new design should have the "kinks" ironed out, as the current one has a few. For example, opposing slots were too close together at center ice, it made cutting the mdf support for under the game very difficult, and every now and again there was a collision of the control rods underneath the game, so left and right wing control arms could touch. More a slight annoyance really, and wasn't too much of a distraction. The new design will have a slightly smaller curve for the D slots, and also the center slots will come over the red line, on more of an angle than before. Anyway, let me know what you think, as always your feedback is important and greatly appreciated. I think I am getting really close to a very solid game, and ideally I would like to get one finished in time for the Gatineau tournament for others to try.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL769/2850121/20234328/381777841.jpg
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuggs,

Can you put a link to the last design so we can compare. At this point it looks pretty nice.

What's the distance from the end of the center slot to the front of the goal cup? (I'm wondering how far the Center can come up to the Goalie)
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Paul. The distance, I will have to measure from home, but right now, the center would meet the goalie head on, with a fraction in between them. The current design, I think the center is too close, I want to drop it back a bit.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL769/2850121/22091752/365528514.jpg
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a top view of my current design.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL769/2850121/22637386/381799001.jpg
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There's an indefensible pass from RD-C.

I hate to be that guy, but this kind of thing fascinates me.
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is indefensible, I'll show you a pic of the slots, with circles representing the radius of the players, but I cannot post it until I get home tonight. That's why I slightly angled the "D" slots towards center. But between your D and your Center, you should be able to stop that pass.
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should re-phrase that. What I mean is, you can make that pass, but it will be tough to go anywhere, at least that's what i think. I'll post a better example later. Thanks for the input Steve.
kidmapleleaf
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

may i ask what program are you using to design the rink? and is your next step to print this out onto a large sheet that you will stick onto the surface?
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am using Visio until I get the slot pattern exactly the way I want it. The next step is reading everyone's feedback, because last time I got some great input from the guys here, and it helped allot. Once it's finished, my partner in crime will CAD the drawing and then I will have a template laser cut for routing the slots. It is really expensive for laser cutting, that's why I need to get this exactly right.
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link displays the issue Steve Klump was talking about earlier. While I agree the pass is there, there is not much room to do anything with it if defended with D and Center. What do you think? The reason I brought the centermen over center ice was to allow for more of an angle towards the net, to add a little space between "C" rods under the game. There is allot more than designing for gameplay, you have to make sure it jives underneath the game as well. You would think it would be easier seeing as the game is bigger than your standard 5340, but I am finding it quite difficult, due to the angles of the slots.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL769/2850121/20234328/381818718.jpg
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure a good player could work that pass. It's kissing cousin to the "Express" RD-C Stiga pass, which can go through the opposing LD if there isn't enough pressure on it.

Quick fix: extend the LD top of slot and retreat the RD accordingly, about an inch or so.

Just my take.
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting idea, definately going to have to explore that option tonight, as it would be a really easy fix. Thanks for the input.
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I could really use some feedback from you Coleco players. Steve Klump raised a good point about the lane from the right D to C. I have made a modification which addresses that, as you will notice the left d slot is slightly longer and the right d slot is slightly shorter. What do you guys think of this pattern, and do you see any issues? I have been staring at lines so long, I am getting loopy. Sometimes something glaring might not jump out at me, like what Steve poited out. Anyway, I have studied this pattern from both sides of the tabe, and I think it is the best possible for a table of these dimensions. For those interested in building, the 2nd link is a template I am creating for routing out the support board for the slot pattern, which for me is the worst part of building, because right now I use a jig saw and it takes an hour. Can't wait to start building.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL769/2850121/20234328/381919016.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL769/2850121/20234328/381919017.jpg
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks gorgeous! It makes me gasp, a little.

If you'd like some help building, drop me a line. I'm local again.
nuggs
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Steve. Still at least a month or 2 away from any building. I have to CAD the design to have the templates created. That will take a little time. That works out well though, I would rather cut and route outdoors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: