Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refurbished Crystal Ice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perreault11
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Refurbished Crystal Ice Reply with quote

I had this game as a kid and have been seeking one ever since my mother (God rest her soul) gave it to Goodwill in 1982. Figured sooner or later I would find one at a garage sale etc as it was made in Buffalo NY where I reside...but I found it in the basement of a co-worker's new home that the previous owners had left behind. A few pieces were broken and needed repair (3 player bases and the plastic peg that the center ice puck dropper pivots on). The end glass was missing so I made my own acrylic glass. Other than that it just needed major cleaning and straightening of the rods. I think this is the finest table hockey game ever built (except Benej)... As Ferris Beuller once said.. "If you have the means, I suggest you pick one up"!!!!!

Last edited by perreault11 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Superdave3n2
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a thing of beauty.......

Thanks for sharing this with us....

Dave
Jefman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perreault: Thanks for sharing your photo's of the famed Crystal Ice game. This classic was Munro/Servitronics answer to Coleco's rollout of Game Room Hockey....the early 1970's when table hockey made its boldest statements to upsize from three foot long games and attempt to blow out of the toy department and make a pre emptive run onto the sporting goods aisle with four foot long games next to pool and ping pong tables. When Munro was sold to Buffalo based Servitronics in the spring of 1968 I don't think anyone ever imagined that this game would be an out growth of their product line. I can't say with certainty that this game was made without the influence of Burlington, Ontario based Munro prior to the purchase but whoever was behind the manufacturing of this huge, heavy and ornate game gets lots of credit. The game is very original, playable, innovative and has really never been copycatted (incredible score board and puck droppers) over the years. You rarely see this game on Ebay or on Craigslist and if you do the condition is not always top notch. I do know there are some real stalwart Crystal Ice afficianados out there like Coleco's Game Room brethren but this game talks to players and collectors alike as a true classic and a very playable and competitive game. Crystal Ice is worthy of being an all time top ten game. Makes you wonder why Crystal Ice and Game Room never resonated with the sporting goods crowd. If it did maybe it would be still be manufactured. On the other hand Rick Benej's line of four foot long games is now the game that the big game crowd desires and rightfully so. Rick's beauties are like a 2010 Corvette where as Crystal Ice is like a 1973 Chevy Chevelle with a big block 454. Again thanks for the photos. Cool thread you started.
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are out of control Mr Perreault just incredable. What a beautiful game. Congratulations on your fantastic find! Now that one will be very tough to top folks.

Good Goin!
Jim Rzonca
ruffie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbished Crystal Ice Reply with quote

perreault11 wrote:
I found it in the basement of a co-worker's new home that the previous owners had left behind.

That must have been quite the rush. Too bad someone didn't snap a picture of the look on your face Rolling On Floor Laughing

Fantastic Clapping Clapping
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co-worker knew I collected table hockey games. When she moved into the house she called me and said there is an old game in the basement left behind by the previous owners. I told her to send a pic, figuring it was some delapitated Coleco black plastic player warped beyond usability game. pics below are what she sent.. I FREAKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. her 10 year old son wanted to keep it but I coerced her into trading it for a near mint condition Munro Bobby Hull game to keep him happy!. My 28 year quest is over!

brotzp
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome..... Cool

The old W.T.H.A. used to play on these games, see www.dthl.net for the hall of famers and events of who played on these games....They are rock solid..The cool thing about the design of this game is that it is an one piece mold. Plus the famous Munro metal gears....

Two years ago we played Doubles on the Sunday of the Detroit table hockey weekend. We switched to the flat players, give those a try and see how you like it.

Did you make the glass or buy it from someone....I need glass for mine....
perreault11
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the glass.. used boiling water to curve it.. then dunked immediately into a bucket of ice water.. I believe it was .08 mil acrylic.. it was the thinnest I could find.. Lowes had it and they cut into 28x3.5" strips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: