Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

custom electronic scoreboard II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindros88
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: custom electronic scoreboard II Reply with quote

Thought I would share a few images of the latest edition of my electronic table hockey scoreboard. (based on the prototype I built back in 2008)

Here is whats new/updated:

- now based on the Henry Compu-Score scoreboard (5 min. periods + OT if necessary, with various built-in hockey music and siren sounds). This Henry unit (circa 1989) is simply the best one I have ever seen released with a table hockey game, so I made a great effort to try and integrate it into my game. (my first scoreboard didn't have a clock/periods, only a score count for each player)

- flashing/rotating red goal light (I hard wired a custom mini-circuit into the Henry circuit board to achieve this, so when a goal is scored it automatically gets triggered. The light will shut off and timer will restart when the face-off button is hit... the puck gets shot through a puck chutte at center ice, passing through a series of Reed switches that are connected back to the Henry unit which triggers the timer to continue counting down)

- both the hockey table and scoreboard have their own 25-pin serial ports and are connected together via a 25 foot serial cable for data transmission. The scoreboard also as a retractable USB cable that allows me to connect to the scoreboard's LCD with my notebook for easy updating of images and videos.

- authentic old school Appleton metal light cage covers the flashing light. (won this on eBay)

- newer 8.4" LCD screen with better viewing angles and more native memory than the original one I used. Serves as the games attract mode, similar to what most video arcade cabinets had.

- I modified the way the Henry unit manages displaying periods. It natively uses the decimal points on each of its 4 LEDS to indicate what period it is. I bypassed this, by allowing the Henry unit to have 4 separate large LEDs to indicate what period it is, and again hard wired them directly to the unit. (via four daughter cards that separately tap into the Henry unit, so I can have a four sided scoreboard rather than just Henry's one side). I was also able to add semi-colons for the clock on my daughter cards, which the Henry board didn't have, using a similar bypass technique.

- 3 x .mp3 players, connected via audio mixer. One .mp3 controls background organ music, another controls "He Scores!!!" and triggers simultaneously with the flashing red goal light. The last one controls "Holy Makinaw... what a game!" + fans chanting in background. This last one is controlled manually by either player at any point during the game.

- I used a polished metal mixing bowl installed upside down within the scoreboard to reflect extra light down on to the ice surface, allowing the use of lower watt light bulbs, while maintaining similar brightness levels as before.

- The large air hockey fan is now installed within the scoreboard rather than on top to allow much better cooling, extending light bulb life.

Here is my original scoreboard from 2008 (notice single digit scoring and no clock or period indicator... cooling fan is external and less efficient)

Last edited by lindros88 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 8 times in total
kidmapleleaf
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deeeeeeamnnn Shocked may i ask where you got the goal light? i've seen your previous youtube demos. would you be able to do the same for this upgraded scoreboard? thanks in advance Smile
lindros88
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidmapleleaf wrote:
deeeeeeamnnn Shocked may i ask where you got the goal light? i've seen your previous youtube demos. would you be able to do the same for this upgraded scoreboard? thanks in advance Smile

Expect some new YouTube videos soon Smile (including many changes to the game itself, not shown in these images)

The flashing light I purchased on eBay for about $15. (the metal light cage was purchased separately on eBay for $20)
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freaking unreal. That is FANTASTIC!

Jim Rzonca
jeffaary
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way cool. Someday I hope to build a working replica of the scoreboard at the old Boston Garden.
kazjason
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding, very cool. Looking forward to the new videos.
lindros88
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the first in a series of new videos I will be releasing showcasing the latest updates to my custom table hockey, electronic scoreboard and game room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDFWPBi2NmA
kazjason
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set up. Inspiring. Looking forward to the scoreboard in action.
lindros88
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kazjason wrote:
Great set up. Inspiring. Looking forward to the scoreboard in action.

Here it is,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvwW7res-N0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
kazjason
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool. Looks really professional.
DeadlyRedly
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another with puck detectors, no more in & outs!

http://canadahockeytable.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/13774826-hockey-master-english
gtothen
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Very nice Reply with quote

Very nice mine will only be a whisper compared to yours.
lindros88
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got around to doing a scoreboard II specific video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I3XV1o9wRs
urbanj
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great looking scoreboard and I am looking to do something similar. Scoreboard and lighting system.

I took a scoreboard from a SportsCraft air hockey table and and retro fitting it into my SITGA game.

I will post pictures when I get it done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Modifications, Repairs, Painting & Custom Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: