Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Must Read....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Table Hockey Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superdave3n2
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: A Must Read.... Reply with quote

For 10 years now I have toured the Table Hockey circuit.

I have put on well over 200,000 klms on my car travelling to Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Detroit. Not to mention numerous tournaments in Quebec and Ontario. Also I attended Las Vegas.

Last year I co-hosted the Canadian Championships in Toronto which was a huge success.

I also held the first Munro Tournament in years.

In saying this, Iam wondering out loud why I have such a hard time drawing my friends from the south up to the North for some table hockey.

Last year Kevin Williams and his brother attended along with Ron Marsik, and Lou Marinof, and Greg Scoma.

My Munro event drew Steve Bernstein, Ron Masik, and John Fayolle.

This year we are having another great event in Toronto held a the Fabulous Ricoh Coliseum. We have some Hockey Greats attending, not to mention a fantastic Raffle prize give aways.

We even revamped the tournament to allow players to play more games as the Toronto (AHL) Marlies are playing at 5PM.

With this all said, I get no real support from my friends from the south, even after all of the support I've given you over the 10 years.

In the last month Eric and I have been posting our tournaments on this site and we update our events for all to see.

The Detroit Coleco event is going to be the biggest Coleco event in the Detroit tournament History. Why is this? Because you have a Canadian contingency of almost 20 players participating. That means that 20 CANADIANS are travelling south to Detroit to play in your event.

Last count, A total of 70 participants will partake in a combined effort for both events on that weekend.

In Toronto, on the 16th of March, We will again achieve a participation factor of more than a 100 players at this event.

You know what the sad part of this is? None of the participants are from south of the border or Quebec.

This is the support I'm shown from my Table Hockey friends.

I just want to say

THANKS! THANKS ALLOT!

Dave
oilersfan99
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave - I'm in Western Canada and will probably never take in or participate in a table hockey tournament. It sounds cool - but I guess I just have other priorities in my life at this time and have four weeks of vacation a year to use on my various hobbies and interests. Not attending is probably my loss too Smile as tourneys are probably huge male bonding times. Especially Vegas!

Anyways - is there maybe a misconception about travel to Canada or maybe worries about crossing the border for your American buddies?

Or is it maybe an economic thing at the moment? I don't know exactly what economic demographics are represented on these forums, but imagine there's quite the spread between incomes.

Maybe vacation time (or lack of) comes into play too...

My two bits! try your best and hopefully you will see participants from other parts of Canada and the upper States.

Keep up the good work Smile

Joel

Joel.
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's best to focus on the enjoyment of that those who do come out, even if it's just a few people.

Rest assured I am looking forward to your Munro tournament!
TheStein
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Consider these points (if you haven't already).

Firstly, you're playing on the PowerPlay game. It is quite possibly the least
popular and least played game out there. Fact is, the only people that I know of that play on it are you and your group in Ontario. Secondly and truth be told, I (and maybe others) feel that play on the PowerPlay game is even less creative than on the Coleco 5380. This may be another reason why people don't want to come. Also, I haven't ever seen anywhere a schedule as to how many games one might be expecting to play during the day and with over a hundred players entered and with the deadline of 5 PM to finish up, I can imagine it isn't that many. Therefore I can understand why some people might not want to put out the expense and travel time for so few games. That also may be a factor. Then there's the proximity of your date to the tournament in Detroit. Lastly, and maybe most realistic, is that it's possible and probable that many players out there just aren't into table hockey as much as you, I and others.

I'm fairly certain that no one out there is saying "let's stick it to Dave and
not go to his event". I've told Mark that I've wanted to come and support this event year after year, and sadly I won't be attending this year either. As Len has so aptly put it so many times in the past… many events give players many options. You must know it isn't they (or I) don't want to help support you, but there are many factors that come into play when people choose to go places to play. Have you ever considered switching to Coleco, Munro or to Stiga and see what happens? One never knows.

In closing I'd say keep on doing what you're doing, you're getting great
attendance, you are helping get table hockey is out there to be seen, and you're supporting a good cause. That is something that I and others can always support, even if we're not there in person!

the stein

ps…" thanks, thanks a lot". What are you cryin about….over 100 players? Seems like little support to me, too! (c'mon)
torontotablehockey
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
it has nothing to do with the choice of game. (cuz the guys who love to ply will play on any game)
it has nothing to do with people having many choices of where to play (cuz in the 14 year history of the event, you figure a few people would have made it just once had they cared enough to try)

it may have something to do with a certain respect factor out there that tends to be missing nowadays and needs to be reintroduced. when i started playing, I saw people saying things like 'I am here to support what so and so is doing'... and sad to say we never tend to hear that anymore. Dave does work harder and put in way more time and energy into table hockey which raises the bar for everyone really. If he feels that way, I also think that you should consider his point of view rather than adding to the mass of general excuses which all add up to very little.
DeadlyRedly
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to think its the game that is played on that people are attracted to. Not saying Coleco is better then Stiga, but I would travel for a Coleco tourny, maybe a PP2 Tourny & not a Stiga Tourny. & others would be the opposite of me or a whole different order. & then theres guys Like Dave who just play all games.

Shawn
tonscia
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

For me, it is simply financial and health reasons that I cannot travel to tournaments more than two hours driving at this time. Maybe when I start collecting Social Security!

I also, respectfully, feel I have the right not to like certain games at this stage of my waning "Career". I will do my best not to "Dis" any game in writing, but reserve the right to offer an opinion with reasons.

Tony S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Table Hockey Cafe All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: