Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A former Coleco U.S. Open champ passes away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Table Hockey Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: A former Coleco U.S. Open champ passes away Reply with quote

We're very sorry to report that Bob Ingo has passed away at age 58.

Bob was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few months ago. He died on Sunday, March 16. You can find out more information about that here:

http://www.hultgrenfh.com/home/index.cfm/obituaries/view/id/2455705

Bob came out of virtually nowhere to win the 2008 Coleco U.S. Open. He had only been playing with us a couple of months...and mostly Stiga at that...when Bob cranked it up and won a tournament. It was one of those Cinderella stories where a guy emerges from his basement and wins what I believe was the first tournament he entered. I remember a whole bunch of guys practicing at Jim Rzonca's place in the days before the tournament and Bob had raised a few eyebrows with how well he was playing. He put it all together for one magical night. I remember he was so wired after winning that he couldn't fall asleep and he called me early on Saturday to let me know he wouldn't be making the Stiga tournament because he was exhausted.

The RW-C play was his bread and butter. He loved playing Coleco 5380 s-slot. You might remember him posting photos of his own restored vintage game right here on tablehockeyheaven. He had the original surface that some players loved and some didn't. The game made an appearance or two in Detroit for the Motor City Classic 5380. Original overhead scoreboard with the puck dropper. Tall glass on the sides. Custom Blackhawks teams.

Bob died way too young and he will be missed.

Please post your memories of Bob below in this thread.

Best,
Eric

Last edited by EricK on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
TheStein
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing about Bob through the message boards and hoped to get a chance to play him sometime. I finally met him in Detroit where I found him to be a very skilled player and a very nice man to talk to and be around. His original Coleco game was the best I ever played on! Smooth and tight.

I don't get it, but why are the really good ones taken from us to soon? My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.
Sterling1973
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so sad to hear. Met him on a couple of occasions and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Bob was a terrific guy Reply with quote

Bob Ingo emailed me back during the 1st season of the NYCTHA; right after he saw the photos of the guys playing on the Labelle custom coleco games and was shocked Shocked He said he wanted badly to come out and join us, and play me even if only one time. I wrote back that I wanted the same thing, too. Sadly it never happened.

Bob and I met in a magical basement located in Hegewisch Illinois, for a metal munro tournament, which he won, and before the thing even started he told me how much forward he was looking to playing me. I got knocked out in the semis and so, again, sadly it never happened.

Now it won't happen; But at least I met Bob and spoke with him on numerous other occasions and he was always such an enthusiastic, humble person. A guy I respected and really enjoyed being around, if only for a second.

My condolences to his family and friends. They were lucky to know him, as I was. God Bless You Bob Ingo! Clapping
dwayne stegner
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is sad to hear. he was a good person and great tablehockey player. he came to my house and won a munro tournament. we had good times.
Superdave3n2
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say,
In 2009 I met Bob on line through THH. We struck up an instant friendship from afar. Bob played along with my ribbing at him for months leading up to the US Open.
Bob agreed to play me a Best of Seven series before the Coleco Open to determine who was the best. Bob or Me.
On the line was bragging rights and my leather hat. I'll never get the Chicago Cubs hat he was suppose to give me. (But that's ok). I would rather have another series against him...
After our series we played the tournament. Bob and I would meet during the tournament 5 times and Bob and I would laugh at the coincidence of playing so much against each other.
After the tournament Bob invited me back to his hotel room to play more table hockey. We would play an additional 23 games before we finally called it quits and Bob finally won.
Bob and I played a total of 32 games against each other plus the tournament which I finished second to Dany Leclerc.
I know from that evening that I had a friend for life.
Although I never played another game of table hockey against Bob Ingo, we would talk on numerous times about getting together either in Chicago or at another tournament because he really wanted my Hat.

I posted a tribute on Facebook with the game where Bob proclaimed he was going to win my hat....
You can also find it on YouTube, by searching Superdave3n2 and the video is Super Series G3.

Bob I know you can see this and hope you're practicing for when I arrive because your going to need it.

Thanks Bob for the short time we knew each other, It was my honour and pleasure to have met you.

Super Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> Table Hockey Cafe All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: