Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stiga U.S. Open fact of the day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> U.S. Open Tournament
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric, any ideas how much from MTL? Just in case (I doubt this year) but maybe next year. Maybe Pierre can fill us in? Thanks Boys, you guys rock!!!!
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have Pierre put you in his suit case and bring you here.

Jim Rzonca
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Mtl to Chicago, searching on Orbitz.com just now, lowest was $366. I assume that's US, but don't know for sure.

(That was leaving Thursday, returning Friday, and the lowest price had one stop, FYI).

That's a lot better than the $460 I paid for RBC VI last month, I tell ya.
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm small enough, guess I would fit in a suitcase. lol
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: stiga u.s. open fact of the day for saturday, june 23 Reply with quote

We've been fortunate to attract Phil Hamilton of tablehockeygames.com as the sponsor of the Stiga U.S. Open several years running now. His incredible generosity has resulted in the winner of each pool at the tournament getting a free new Stiga game. He's been on hand to supply people with rods, replacement parts and teams.

He won't be there this year, but he's graciously made the same offer again this year. Thank you, Phil.

Courtesy of John Medema, here's a photo of Phil, Troy and Austin Hamilton...

Last edited by EricK on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil! We really appreciate your support in participating and the contributions.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: fact of the day for tuesday, june 26 Reply with quote

Last year, the highest-finishing rookie at the U.S. Open was Alyson Pohlman, who took 3rd in the B group. (By rookie, I mean it was either their first U.S. Open or first organized TH tournament.)

The highest-finishing rookie of all-time was Jeff Puopolo of Groveland, Mass. He came in 9th in the 2003 edition of the Open. Jeff Puopolo would go on to finish 5th at the 2005 Open.

We've got a fair amount of rookies this year at the Open: who'll finish best?

Eric
johnbenej
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on his performance at the Parsippany tournament in March, and since the number of games that will be played by each player at the US Open will be high ( I played like 35 games at the 2005 tournament), I would think that Greg Scoma will be the highest finishing rookie at the US Open.

His training with the Marine Corps has taught him to not only fight hard but to learn quickly and adjust. The only problem he will have is the goalie on the side--a major problem its true--but as I like to remind Greg, its just a minor adjustment.

The meccanisim has sent Greg a game; its up to him to get on it and work; all the champs tell me that there are two games that help to develop your skills on all games: they are the Stiga and the CLASSIC benej.

colecojohnny@yahoo.com
I see Dean Kallas is coming to Lemont: Very good news!
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: fact of the day for june 30-july 1 Reply with quote

A Chicago table hockey legend just registered for the Coleco U.S. Open on Friday, July 27. That brings our total to 19 so far, and adds some local star power to the event.

Mike DiGangi. Big Daddy. CTHL legend. In the basement of Harry's Tap, a shark tank if there ever was one, Big Daddy was one of the best. A great white. Intimidating to stand across from, to be certain, he also was great to get a beer with afterward.

He's proved his skill on the 5340, straight slot. Now he'll have to prove himself on the 5380, s-slot.

Here is Big Daddy in action. (That rascal in the Colorado sweater is Dan Lord, with Jeff Farwell reffing and Rich Thill in the background.)

Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding airline costs for eastern Canadians, if you can get to Albany, NY or Manchester, NH the cost of a round-trip, non-stop (2 hour flight) is about $235US on Southwest Airlines ( www.southwest.com )

From Montreal to either Albany, NY or Manchester, NH the drive is about 4 hours, 5 minutes.

Bus or train, I don't know the costs or times. I have taken the train from Washington, DC to Montreal, and the NY stretch was very picturesque.
bluecollardan
CTHA Ont/Maritimes Rep
CTHA Ont/Maritimes Rep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a new airport is opening in Platsburg NY, only 45 minutes from montreal...i haven't have a chance to check out prices but from what I've heard it's going to be 30% cheaper than flying from montreal P.E.T airport
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had two more register this weekend for Stiga: Jeff Farwell and DTHL Commish Tim Walker.

That brings us to 47 before the inevitable dropouts and no shows. Not too bad. There's the prospect of registering a few more players as well. We could get 1 more, could get 8 or 9 more, depending on how things break.

With the 20 for Coleco, the weekend's already shaping up to be a success.

Eric
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be getting some surprisses for the Coleco Boys, stay tuned. Very Happy

PS: Hey Eric, can you drop me an e-mail at carlobossio@hotmail.com?
DTHLcommish
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: 48 Reply with quote

The DTHL is got one more guy... who's is up for the open." Mr Bulldozer " Bob Monaghan . Eric what's the record for Open attendance ? You have to be getting close .
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Tim! Ask Bob to sign up Today.

The highest player total for the ****STIGA U.S. OPEN**** is 2005 we had 44 players.

We did get 43 at the Paris Stiga Las Vegas in 2006 and 42 players at Stiga U.S. Open 2006

BUT our best total thus far was 2003. On August 16 2003 we got 33 for Stiga U.S. Open AND 32 for the BOS event just 8 weeks later. Both were played at the Lithuanian World Center here in Lemont. That added up to 65 players that fall.

We WILL surpass our 1 day total and challenge our combined events total in just a few short weeks!

50 + 23 = 73????

COME PLAY WITH US!

Jim Rzonca
www.lemonttablehockey.com/usopen
Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bluecollardan----I see that it is more expensive from Plattsburgh. So, on what airline can you get discounts from Plattsburgh?
Cowboy
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricK wrote:
We've had two more register this weekend for Stiga: Jeff Farwell and DTHL Commish Tim Walker.

That brings us to 47 before the inevitable dropouts and no shows. Not too bad.

That is excellent Eric and Jim!

It was looking like the Stiga events were losing players
recently... now you guys are on route to a new attendance
record for the US Open... and if not it should be close Smile

Good going guys!!!

Warren
Jim Rzonca
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Warren. Lots of hard work BUT we are haveing a BLAST!!!

Jim Rzonca
DTHLcommish
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: DTHL help Reply with quote

Jim, Glad the DTHL can bring 6 this year . And next year as I shared with your partner in crime Eric Im hoping to have 10 or more of our players make the trip. Im looking forward to working with you guys in the furture to grow this great sport ! The best is yet to come . See ya soon ! Cheers
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: 50 Reply with quote

Registration for the Stiga U.S. Open tournament has just hit 50 players. Today's additions are the Cote brothers from Quebec and Bob Monaghan from the Detroit area, a DTHLer.

We're also up to 22 for the Coleco with the Cotes.

We've still got nearly 3 weeks to go. Come on guys, join us for a weekend of TH fun.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: technology Reply with quote

Technology affects all our lives. Heck, we're posting on a table hockey message board. How many of us 10-12 years ago even knew this possibility existed?

At the Stiga U.S. Open, we've grown technologically as the event has grown. The first year, in Jerry's hot garage, it was all pen-and-paper and not the best organization (I'd never run a league night that big before). By 2003, it was off to the Lithuanian Hall but still pen and paper. As we got more and more players, that became impractical. The past few years, we've used an Excel spreadsheet program devised by Ron Chesick of the CTHA to track scores and standings, and adapted our own score sheets from an excellent table rotation system borrowed from Steve Bernstein in Boston.

Last year was the first year I had a blackberry, so I was able to crudely type up some tournament results to send to Warren Klotz to post here on thh.com.

This year, I hope to bring a wireless internet card to both events and get results up on tablehockeyheaven.com fairly quickly. How much I'll be able to post will depend on how smoothly the tournaments run and whether the air card works at the VFW and Lith Center. But you'll be able to check here all night and then all day and night for results, hopefully.

Eric
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: 51st Reply with quote

A relatively slow news day on the US Open front. But we did have a bit of news we're proud to announce....

Denis Maille of Montreal, QUE has registered for both the Stiga U.S. Open and the Coleco U.S. Open. This veteran, versatile player is a fine addition to our big weekend of table hockey in Chicago. Denis is a regular top 3 finisher in Pierre's Stiga league, I am told. He also finished 9th in the very tough and prestigious Boston tournament (after finishing 8th in the key second round robin).

We're glad he's coming.
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maillé's LD-C combo is as good as any I've played against, both in its fluidity and its finish. He can pick his corner effectively. His RW-C high pass is also excellent, but that's true of most decent players.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, the big table hockey weekend in Chicago just got a lot better.

Ron Chesick, one of the true class acts in the table hockey world, announced he's coming to play in both the Coleco and Stiga events.

This gentleman is a fine addition to our tournament and we're very pleased to have him.

Just 14 more days until Coleco and 15 until Stiga...how many more players can we get?

Eric
http://www.lemonttablehockey.com/usopen
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. now that's what I'm talking about!!!!! I am sure that many negotiations are going on in the Quebec areas between Husbands and wife's. Smile

One thing is for certain, everyone here are crazy passinate about this sport and I am sure that health, time, money etc etc permit, they would love to be there, I know I would!!!! Crying or Very sad

To answer the question Eric, sky is the limit.

PS: That brings to 5 the number of participants coming in from Monteal, who knows, hopefully maybe those kinds of numbers might be reversed and Chicago can be well represented come Sept 22nd for the MTL Classic 3? Ah, one can hope.

Keep it up boys, doing great. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> U.S. Open Tournament All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: