Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comment On U.S. Open Results
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> U.S. Open Tournament
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Comment On U.S. Open Results Reply with quote

Thank you for creating that special thread for the live results.

If you'd like to comment on the live results (which pretty much means Carlo Smile, why not do it here?

The wireless internet connection I'm bringing doesn't work inside the VFW Hall. So I will have to go outside between rounds and try to connect. If it rains, this will probably not be happening very much.

I think the connection works fine Saturday.

Eric
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo comments, hummmmm okay, if I absoulutly have to. hahahaha

PS: If it rains, to bad, bring an umbrella! Laughing
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, last I heard, the tournament should start at 16:30 Central time so 17:30 Eastern Time. Less than an hour to go. Yes sir, drop in to see the results of is bound to be the greatest 2 day event in North America Yet!!!!!

Who will win, who will creat an upset, how will people enjoy playing on Labelle's, Carleco's & Thill's all at once. Heaven is the place you want to check in tonight. I wish everyone in Lemont a kick A*****s start to this great week-end.

PS: Don't forget your raffle tickets. Very Happy

www.tablehockeyheaven.com
Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have collected scores. We've group "A" has more players than other groups, so it completing its preliminary round robin.

In my group, "B",
1- Dave Kraehling
2 - Francois Cote & Greg Scoma (tied, but Scoma beat Cote. 3-2).

Group "B" is Kraehling, Francois Cote, Dan Lord, Greg Scoma, Bernie Kunzler, Eric Krol, Paul Ruiz, and Dan Beyer.
Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group "C" has Marinoff, Power, Marsik and ???

Power tells me that...
1 - Ron Marsik (W-5,L-2)
2 - ?

and Power finally beat Marinoff! I think that's John's first time in a NYCTHA or tournament event. I just told him last night of 13 games during the NYCTHA regular season, that Power was 0W-12L-1T, but lost six of those games by just one goal. The next person with a statistic like that was James Friedl, who lost two games by one goal to Marinoff. John had no idea of that statistic until I uncovered it on the airplane from Denver to Chicago.
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Greg, exellent read as always. Also live updates to bout!!!! Great Stuff, Chicago Rocks man, all you guys are Da Bomb, the real deal. Very Happy

PS: At what time (Central) did the event start and how many players officially are their?

PPS: Don't forget to remind people to get their raffle tickets. Very Happy

Looking forward to more results, Ciao
Cowboy
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the live updates Greg!

Ron Marsik's 16 goals for and 6 against in 7 games is quite something.
Such a low for and against averages, must of had a number of 2 to 1
games.

The Cote's look really good as does yourself, John Power and AJ to name
just a few.

I am surprised to see Lou in 4th place, man the field must be good.

Lots of talent there tonight!

Thanks again, Warren
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well our boy Patrick Cote looked to be on his Game. The only point he lost in the first round was a 4-4 tie against Jim Rzonka. Wow, if you look, you will see that Jim only has 12 goals against and Pat 13 in 8 games. This means they only have 8 and 9 goals against each in the other 7 games!!!!

Now that's some seriouse defense!!!!

Pat had just beat Dave Kraehling 5-1 in the second round robin.

PS: I heard that unlike the decision from the Hockey Sur Table Quebec which will hold all 4 rounds best of 3's they have oppted to go for best of 3's but for the 4 finalist, semi's and finals best of 5's. Good decision boys, prolonge the excitement. Clapping

Go Pat Go. Blazing Guns
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, if you look at the offense from round one it is pretty impressive. 42 in 7 for Francois Cote and 46 in 8 for Patrick!!!! Now that's some seriouse Quebec offense. Very Happy

Looks like 25 strong are going at it. Yes sir, can't wait to see the end results! Lots of traffic in Heaven tonight, post your thoughts and observations boys, as Warren pointed out, 6 goals against for Ron Marsik, wow I had not even seen that. Great Stuff.
Cowboy
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the scores Eric.

Congrats to Patrick Cote for the win/comeback.

On to Stiga!

Cheers, Warren
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir, now that's what I'm talking about. Only a best of 5 can produce such excitment!!!!!!!!!! Wooooooooohoooooooooo, the kid did it again. What a remarkable comeback. Pat has a nack for excitment. I hope that lots of people sticked around for that one?

Exellent 3rd place for the brother as well, was it Pat or Dave that took out Francois????

PS: Mon ostie de Pat, il etait temps que tu te reveille!!!!!!

Thanks for all the stats boys, can't wait to see all the stats. Ciao
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on what Denis M's final position was???? Also, was it Dave or Pat that took out Francois????

The finals were best of 5's, were the semi's best of 5 as well? Thanks, you guys rock, 2:38 Eastern time and I'm hungry for answers, Sh***t anyone have a phone so that they could call me on my cell? Laughing
Sabre_in_Virginia
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back to my hotel room. We cleaned up the room. Then Bernie Kunzler, Ron Marsik, Jim Rzonca, Kevin Reardon and myself had one beer to finish the night.

I figured out a way to post the Excel spreadsheet standings from the Preliminary Round to THH while looking like a spreadsheet, i.e. keeping the numbers all nice and neat versus jig-jagged on THH. Very Happy

Eric (especially), myself and others worked very hard to keep things moving considering our time constraint. Eric did a great job. We had to work hard to keep the tournament moving smooth and efficiently considering we were starting at 5 PM.

Last night, Kevin Reardon and I found Jim Rzonca working hard to ensure all of the games under his purview were in tournament quality condition. John Power had just arrived and was doing the same with his games. Kevin and I, then go to work on our games.

The tournament was as I'd hoped and as I wrote in a previous post elsewhere here. We had:
* Legends of the game from the 1970s (e.g. Marsik and Marinoff played against each other back in the 1970s, Dan Lord was there, Guy Mason was at his 2nd tournament since learning that there were TH tournaments. His first time back on the table hockey boards since 30 years ago, was Johnny Goodguy 2007).
* Players from Chicago, Detroit, New York, Wisconsin, Ohio, Nevada, Quebec, Ontario...and from as far away as from California...
* New players
* Young players (14 yr old)
* Old players
* Yes, Carlo, most of the players stayed to watch the Championship game. I have most of the Championship Series on videotape standing on a chair with the video camera directly over the game (not at an angle, but directly above!). Anyone want to buy copies???

To see guys who had played each other back in the mid-1970s out competing and doing well!!!--was fantastic! It was like a Reunion Party.

Wait until you see the photos of the Champion receiving his trophy with all of the women. We don't speak French. I told the girls (four or five of them) that, "Patrick is French. He might think if you hug him that, because he is the Champion, that all of you are going home with him!" They said, "French?" "Hmm..."---with big smiles on their faces and then really squeezed and hugged him. Poor Patrick turned as red as the red in his Montreal Canadiens jersey!!! Embarassed Ha!

Everyone had a great time!

Kudo's to Mr. Rzonca and Mr. Power as the two primaries putting on this event.
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy of the tape, on cd please, ASAP, let me know how much. Yes indeed, a big heads up to Jim, John, and everyone else who I'm sure helped out immensly (Eric, Yourself) and many others I'm sure.

PS: 5 girls you say, damn, and I missed this! Mad

Can't wait to see some pics.
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its now a little past 9:10 Eastern time, so a little past 8:10 in Lemont, people will start waking up slowly for yet another crazy day of TH furry. As we can see, Greg, Jim and many others were still up past 3:am!!!!

Wow, Red Bull boys, Red Bull!!!!

Now the Coleco maddness over, people will jump on the Stiga. Over 50 are expected. With the Lemont boys having the great idea of having a seperate trophy for the one who has the biggest combined points of the 2 days events, this will permit 3 winners in 2 events!!!! Great Idea.

I am saying this with almost certitude as I know Pat will really not do well as he has only touched this game once. I'm going with Ron Marsick for today's win. Seeing that Jim had a great tournament yesterday finishing 4th, (Congrates Jim) my guess is he will win the combined 2 days event as I am sure he will have a top 4 finish today as well.

Organizing 2 events in 2 days on different boards with a combined of over 75 players and preforming well at these events at once, your a work horse dude. Blazing Guns
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More news. Just got off the phone with the Champ. Pat gave me some in's on what went on in the second round. Not official put with confidence that these news are 99.9% accurate.

Round 2 saw 10 players go at it in the "A" division.

1st place went to Francois Cote who went 9-0 giving up only 6 goals he who is really an offensive terreur. He finally listened to me when I told him to close his "D"!!!! He beat his brother 3-0 in that round, Pat who finished 2nd. Jim in 3rd and Dave in 4th rounded up the top 4.

Note: Our other ATHL memeber had a strong tournament as well, Denis Maillier finished 7 being taken out in the second round by Patrick.

Top 4 in the play-offs saw Francois vs Dave. At that point, Francois keeped it decent in defense but lost his offense against a very very tuff Dave defensive player. Result: 4-3, 3-2 & 3-1 wins for Dave. Very nice scores.

Pat beat Jim in 4.

3rd place was a 1 game affaire. I beleive Francois beat Jim 8-0. Couldn't unload some of those against Dave!!!! Mad

The scores for the finals are already up.

PS: I specifically told Pat not to us the pics to much by respect because for some strange reason many of you seem not to like, but to now and again whip one in to show how spectacular and how much precision and talent it takes to execute. He listened. Barely used it and one guy even complemented him on a nice goal, even though he called it a little cheap. Result, he proceeded to score another 6 or 7 without using it again to show that, that's not the only reason we are strong.

I specifically also told him that Martin had scored 5 Goals in game 2 in Brampton's semi's to take Dave out so he better use it if needed. I beleive he had not used it until game 5 were after a 3-2 lead he proceeded to score what I feel are the nicest looking goals, a left wing pic, cross corner, top corner over the goalies glove side, and 2 times in a row!!!! A la Carlo. Blazing Guns

Onto Stiga were he started laughing when I told him to ask people for tips, he knows his behind will be handed to him on a silver platter. Laughing

Good Luck to all.

Ciao
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, play-offs are just under way in Lemont. Pat who managed a 7-4 result in round one got cut short of the "A" group by just 2 points. He managed to finish 3rd in the "B" group with a 9-3-3 record this after only touching the game for 1 hour in his life!!!! Wow, he is a quick study.

Francois managed 5th in the "B" as well. Sorry we did not have time to speak long as it was starting so I have no other news. Is anyone actually enjoying this or am I just writing to myself? Laughing

None the less, the traffic in Heaven was much bigger last night than today.

Ciao
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the boys in Lemont must be completly burned out!!!! That includes both the organizers and the participants. That beeing said, please share with us your thoughts, experiences, highlights etc, etc of this historic event.

Not just 1 or 2 guys, even if you have just read and never posted before, now is has good a time for a first as ever. Smile

KING CARLO

PS: Next trains, plains, automobiles, buses leave for Shawinigan, arrival time August 25th. I beleive there are only 4 spots left. See you there.

Also New-York on Coleco and then, the must attend tournament, the MTL Classic 3 on September 22nd 2007, you want Coleco suppremancy, you must be there. Patrick Cote off 2 straight major tournaments win, back to back and one in Canada and one in the U.S.A, (I beleive that is a first) will be waiting for you as will the multitude of great champions, (Carlo, Gino, Martin, Junior, Burt, Dave, Lou) just to name a few.

Remeber September 1st is the deadline for the 40$ entry fee after which it will be 50$ and 60$ atr the door so get them in early, I don't want to have to clean your pockets of unnecessary extra money. Hope to see you there.

www.hockeysurtablequebec.com for info. Ciao
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a little time to reflect and gather my initial thoughts.

First, Jim Rzonca, Eric Krol and John Power deserve a lot of praise. Not Worthy They put on a very good, well organized tournament. Putting on a tourney takes a lot of planning and hard work and has to affect your play. Jim is amazing, winning the overall trophy for the two days after putting in all that work to make the tournament a success. It was a lot of fun and everyone had a great time.

Secondly, One of the best parts of these tournaments is meeting and talking with all the different people that show up for these events. Renewing old friendships, meeting new players that you have always wanted to meet, and getting to know people that are new to TH are parts of a tourney that just don't get enough credit. Note: I believe the experienced players need to spend much more time with the newer people. They need to feel welcomed and get advice from the vets. If you are a newbie and don't know anyone it means a lot to get to know some of the others and spend some time with friendly, knowledgeable people. First impressions go a long way.

Third, I know that it is difficult to travel to many tournaments; work, cost, family responsibilities, health, other obligations etc. , but I feel sorry for the people that missed this one. It was a great tournament in many respects, one of the best I have ever been to.

Next, I think it was a smart move by Jim & John to do a combined 2 day tourney. It drew a lot of participants and those that did both days had twice the fun. This might be the wave of the future in TH.

Personally: Coleco Friday night.
I'm not a spring game guy, but I played anyway. I have mixed feelings about this one. I'm a C pool bottom bottom feeder in this game and I had the idea to just play, get some experience and have fun. Well, I went
4-3-1 in the first round, to my surprise, and made it to the B pool. That's the high point. 0-6-1 for the second round and two and out in the playoffs. Guess what? I still had a lot of fun, and it was worth it.

Stiga Saturday: There were many good players ( I reckoned about 24) here and only 16 spots for the A pool. I knew I was one of those people if I was on top of my game. I started out slow and couldn't get into a rhythm right away and ended up 6-4-1 for the first round and missed the A pool on a tie breaker. Embarassed I was disappointed in myself, but realized that this is part of the whole thing and sometimes these things happen. Get over it.
The B pool was no picnic either. There were many A pool quality players in the B pool that had the same thing happen to them. I started to get back into my rhythm in the afternoon and ended up 11-4 to get the second seed. By now I was completely exhausted, tired legs sore back, and hand cramping from dehydration. I think some of this is from competing the night before, but mostly age. After resting during dinner, I swept my first series in 3 games. My second opponent, Bob Monaghan, put up a tough defense and took me to 4 games, all close. Two were overtime wins. At this point I was completely exhausted. Turning point: In game 4, I was down 3-1 with 20 seconds to go. I got 2 quick goals to put it into OT. I then struggled to get the game winner. Next was John Power, who battled me for 3 straight close games, but I was fortunate to just get by him. All that I could think of was that 2 years ago we were in exactly the same position and he knocked me out then. I love competing against him. We always have close battles that require each of us to give our all. Now I'm in the finals against Eric Krol and we always have tight games in LTHL and we know each other's games very well. Its going to come down to who executes the perfect shots or gets the occasional, lucky goal. My only consolation is that he is a great player, but just as tired as I am. There would be no dishonor coming in second to him. The luck was against me in the first game. 2-1 Eric. Luck found me for game 2. 4-0 for me. I went to sleep in game 3. 4-2 Eric. Now I'm on the brink of elimination and dig deep with everything on defense to win game 4. 4-2 for me. For the final game neither of us had anything left and each put in only one good goal. With less than a minute left I got the lucky bounce and slapped in a quick reaction goal and hung on for a 2-1 win. I still can't believe it.
I think it will take a full day to recover from all this, but it was worth it in the end. I can't think of any more for now.
ICECHEXX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that it was nice to see Bernie win a major event. He travels a lot and plays all over the continent and has earned this one. He is also quite a gentleman and advocate for the game.

PS I wish I had one-tenth of Jim Rzonca's energy.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the Coleco U.S. Open Champion Patrick Cote in action.

DTHLcommish
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: open Reply with quote

I wanted to weight from the DTHL and say thanks to Jim and Eric for putting together a great, great tournament . The hall was sweet , the games were buuuteeeful... like butter and to me everything ran as expected. It was my first real tournament experience and I was impressed with everything these guys did. I know that the boys from the DTHL had a great time and we'll be back next year in greater numbers, better, stronger and wanting a bigger piece of the Open pie Boxing Also congrats our big dogs Paul Brotz and Tom Warren for both making a very tough ( see above ) A group . Well done Lads. T i m Walker
carlie b
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim, I thought you were going to play in Friday's event? Anyhow, did you get a chance to see and play my games? Ciao
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more pics.

The Stiga US Open Champion Bernie Kunzler

The Champion Speaks

The Rewards of Victory!!!

The Combined Champion - Jim Rzonca

Here's the Coleco champ Patrick Cote (one of the top dogs in Canada) going against 11 year old Tanner.

Patrick & Tanner tied (wow!). Tanner beat Francois Cote in Stiga a few games earlier. Yea he's my kid, I'm bragging on him, but considering that Tanner has not played any type of table hockey at all except for one day in the last 5 months shows he's got raw talent to be able to beat these two table hockey players and to make it in the B group. (If I could only get the kid to practice).
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to add US Open photos later this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> U.S. Open Tournament All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: